Saturday, January 11, 2014

Heat

Rosy's in heat. We're not planning puppies, so she has to be separated from Huck.

Huck is Houdini. (Jonathan calls him HOUNDini.) Huck relentlessly breaks out of any device in which we try to sequester him and barrels his way determinedly toward his true love.

Here, in his own words, is a small sample of his prison break talents.


I'll just head-butt my way through this dog door cover by pushing hard enough on the plastic to release it from the side tabs.



And why not get rid of the dog door flap while we're at it. Totally useless anyway.



I bet I can just rip my way through the exterior wall of the house.



But why stop there? Interior walls are no match for me.


They think they can put me in a dog crate? Ha. I'll just apply enough force to the plastic clasps to break them all off. Too bad my master replaced them with sturdy wire and zip ties.



Not to worry. I'll just bang the crate against the walls until the crate itself breaks and I slip through. D'oh. My master is a genius handyman who actually sewed the tear back together.



This project did take me a while, but I prevailed eventually at eating my way through the sturdy, 1/2" plywood dog crate my master constructed to try to contain me.



NOTHING. CAN STOP. THE HUCK.

Not where true love is concerned. Huck is totally single-minded. And really, really ridiculously annoying. If I could cuss on this blog, I would cuss a lot about how annoying Huck is right now.

After he demolished every one of our attempts to keep him away from Rosy, I brought him into our bedroom last night to sleep on the floor next to our bed because there was nowhere else to put him. He never calmed down. He paced the floor and whined and tried to eat the bedroom door handle until 3 a.m. At which time I woke Jeff by pounding on his chest. "It's your turn," I mumbled. "Figure out something to do with Huck. I can't sleep."

Jeff put more plywood and 2x4's in front of the broken dog crate, and we both fell asleep listening to Huck begin the process of digging through all over again.

He is steadfast.

Immovable.

Always abounding in the work of reaching Rosy.

Believing wholeheartedly that his labor is not in vain.

There's a lesson there.

Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.
~1 Corinthians 15:58

(P.S. No worries on structural damage. Huck's master fixes broken structures for a living. He's got this.)

(Huh. Wow. There's a lesson there, too.)