Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Already Right

The bootstrap method of sanctification, which is the pride-based effort to take credit for my good deeds, says that my own confession has the power to make me right with God.

But it is the perfect sacrifice of Jesus Christ that makes me right with God. Not my confession of whatever surface sin I happen to notice in my life on a given day. Nor my confession of below-the-surface sin that trips me up on a regular basis. Not even my confession of astronomical sin that hurts a lot of people and fills me with oppressive shame.

Then what is the purpose of confession if it doesn't make me right with God?

Confession reminds me that I'm right with God. Every time I come to Him feeling broken, He binds up my wounds and says, "It's okay. I'm here. I've got this covered."

Confession isn't the part where I reveal to God all the ways I've screwed up. "I did this, I did this, I did this, I did this. I'm sorry. Will you take me back?"

Confession is the part where God, who already knows what I did, spends a little time with me saying, "I covered this, I covered this, I covered this, I covered this. You're forgiven. I never left you."

Confession is the beautiful part.

"We have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." ~Romans 5:1b