Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Framehart Campout

For our vacation this summer, we went camping with Jeana and the rest of the Linhart fam. We went to Mt. St. Helens, onaccounta our kids had never seen it, I had a hankerin' to be educational, and we wanted to camp in the woods. The part that, you know, wasn't incinerated or blown down by the 1980 eruption.

Mostly, we went camping because we wanted to see Linharts. We did see Linharts. We loved seeing Linharts. Good times were had by all. Geary and Jeana blessed me by doing ALL the dishes. James and I both ignored the forest ranger's request that we leave the habitat completely alone by taking a flower (me) and a pebble (James). We fished in the milky, ashy waters of the North Fork Toutle River. The kids kept us all entertained with their imaginative campground games. Jeana wrote a great post about our trip, and you can read it here.

I forgot to take very many pictures because I was busy hanging out with Linharts, but here are a few.

 Mt. St. Helens. Six miles away. My mom and I very scientifically calculated that it probably took about 30 seconds for the landslide to reach David Johnston as he stood on this ridge. I just can't imagine.

 This is Miles. He calls me Chocolate Becky. Because there is chocolate at my house.

 My mountain man.

This is Ranger Hannah, giving us a presentation about the eruption and subsequent regrowth of the natural area. I really loved her presentation and got all caught up in the drama of it, and then back at camp, Geary and Jeana pointed out that the way she yelled, the phrases she used, the action verbs... it was slam poetry. Then I liked it even more.

We watched a little movie about the 1980 eruption, and I got to hear the audio recording of David Johnston shouting, "Vancouver! Vancouver! This is it!" It sounded nothing like I'd imagined it, and definitely nothing like any of the documentary portrayals of his final words. It was a frenzied scream, part awe, part terror. I just can't imagine standing in the face of such immense power, witnessing the largest landslide in recorded history.

At the end of the movie, the curtains opened to a view of Mt. St. Helens today. Pretty nifty.

It's been interesting to watch the dome inside the crater grow over the years. It's also interesting to look at the other volcanoes in the Cascade Range and find their domed craters. I have this idea in my mind that when Jesus comes back, all the volcanoes in the Cascade Range will erupt simultaneously.

 James demonstrated herculean effort to produce this smile because right before I snapped this picture, he endured a giant flying ant swarm attack at the spot we chose to picnic. He says he will never forget it.

These are the hills to the north of Johnston Ridge. The near hill was in the blast zone, and it's still covered with ash. The hill behind it was in the tree-down zone, where the trees weren't incinerated, but were all blown down. And there they lay.

This forest fascinated me. It was planted in 1983 by Weyerhauser, and the picture doesn't do it justice, but because all the vegetation was destroyed in the eruption, what they grew in 1983 was the only thing growing there for a while, so the tall trees in the forest are all basically identical. It looks like someone ran a giant comb through the forest to make it all neat and tidy.

Aha! Some pictures from our campsite. Miles peeks out from behind his water bottle as Toby learns how to play cards.

If I had turned the lantern so the logo showed more clearly, I could have won a Coleman photo contest, yo.

Rosy was smack dab in week two of her fall heat during our trip. It was a Real. Hootenanny. Huck stayed ever faithfully by her side, in the hopes that he might... get some. (Ahem.) He actually even opened her crate once with his paws and teeth. She bounded out, and he went for it, and Jeff had to sprint over and pull him off before... well... ya know...

On the side of the road we saw an attraction sign in standard highway sign caps that said BURIED-A-FRAME. I was all, "Sayeth whaaaaaat?" because get it? My last name is Frame. So I thought the sign was telling me that a Frame had been buried. But it was really a Buried A-Frame.

Guess what buried it. Go on, guess.

Aha! You guessed it! The eruption mudslide. You're so smart.

The fence is new, though. Well, newER.

A display showed pictures of what the house looked like before the mudslide, and that was cool and interesting and all, but DUDE! It's totally Napoleon Dynamite!!! I would be willing to bet good money that his costume was based on this photo. SO. AWESOME.
James stomps on Bigfoot's big foot whilst Jonathan pretends to sneak up on him. I think James was the only member of our family who went into this camping trip knowing we were in Bigfoot Country. Now we'll never forget it. So many... interesting... and creative... uses for volcanic ash.
Yep. Bigfoot's feet are bigger than ours. It's official.

Wanna buy a Bigfoot A-Frame tourist attraction? This one's for sale.

This is Noah, on the right, grinning at Miles. I got zero pictures of Noah at our campout, so here is one from when the Linharts came to visit in April and went to the river with us. We went to the river on our campout, too, so just pretend this is the river from our campout. And imagine more ash lying around.

I also got zero pictures of Geary. And even on our April river excursion, I didn't get any pictures of his face. But anyway, here he is teaching Toby how to skip rocks. You can see real pictures of him over at Jeana's blog. Where he lives.

I got no campout pics of us, either. But here we are at the river. I like us. I can't wait to go Framehart camping again next year. And, like, every summer until Jesus comes back.