Monday, September 16, 2013

Blerg

Update time. Cuz I feel like giving an update.

God takes amazing care of us.

James and I both super luuuuuuv homeschool.

Jonathan hasn't quite clicked with his teacher yet, and he feels discouraged.

Jeff has been at his job for a year now, and he has his annual review in a couple of days. I'm so proud of him. Every day he sets his face like flint and heads boldly out the door to slay dragons for his family.

I'm reading Comforts from Romans by Elyse Fitzpatrick. She's the first person who showed me the new way to read Scripture, and she reemphasizes it in this book. I used to read my Bible like a legalist, and then try and try and try and try to effect my own sanctification. But Elyse pointed out that in Scripture there are indicatives and imperatives. I only ever saw the imperatives... the things I was supposed to do. I liked the imperatives because they fed my pride. But the indicatives, what God declares about Himself, what Christ did for me, who I am in Christ, those are the foundation for the imperatives. I couldn't "be ye kind one to another" if Christ had not first been kind to me.

One day this week, our verse of the day was Philippians 4:9. "What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me--practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you."

For my whole life, I read, "IF you practice these things, THEN the God of peace will be with you."

Works-based sanctification, yo.

The God of peace is with me because Christ himself is my peace! He KILLED the hostility between me and God by sacrificing himself on the cross for my sin (Ephesians 2:14, 16).

Therefore, Philippians 4:9 cannot possibly be saying that IF I practice the things learned and received and heard and seen in Paul, THEN I will have the God of peace.

It is saying that AS I learn to practice righteousness, the God of peace WILL be with me. Fact. Encouraging fact!

On another day, our verse was 1 Peter 1:15-16. "But as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, 'You shall be holy, for I am holy.'"

I had always read, "Uh-oh, Becky. You're failing again at being holy. Tut-tut."

Not so!!

I am hidden in Christ, and when God looks at me, he sees Christ. In Christ, I am holy. The holiness Peter talks about is not for me to produce. I cannot produce holiness. I can only fall into the holiness of Christ and hide there. But because I am holy in Christ, it is possible for me to have holy conduct. Peter's not saying, "Make the right choice!" He's saying, "Because of Christ, you CAN make the right choice." So encouraging!

And like the Mrin Codex, I shall now return to the mundane.

I got some really cool natural fiber yarn from Celia's friend last Christmas, and I decided to knit a hat with it, but I got halfway through my hat and ran out of yarn. So I have a very lovely half-a-hat. It didn't even fit my 13-month-old nephew. Oh well. I need to track down the yarn maker and hit her up for more yarn. I heart her yarn.

Jeana is coming this weekend. This makes me feel ridiculously excited and oddly relieved.

Last Saturday, I got to stand in my sister's front yard and listen as she showed my mom and me all her landscaping, and I can't explain it really, but there was this one moment of just the pure enjoyment of belonging to my family.

That's all for now.