Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Brain Dump ~ Fall Plans

Usually I beg for the summer heat to end, but here in northwest Washington, the summer is perfect and mild, a good ten to twenty degrees cooler on average than summers in northwest Oregon. I don't want this summer to end.

Nevertheless, fall is coming, and I find myself excited to prepare for it. Plus, fall is my favorite season. So, you know, there's that.

This month, I have two preparation focuses. Well, three, actually.

1) Fantasy Draft ~ I need to brush up on my NFL knowledge and hope to God that this year, I don't accidentally draft another retired quarterback, or another receiver on injured reserve, or another third string rookie. I did okay last year, making it all the way to the championship game and finding a digital silver trophy on my digital fantasy football trophy shelf. But I suspect that my success was due to our team commissioner's scoring system, which enabled players to inflate their scores dramatically after achieving a certain number of yards, making each game anyone's game. This year, the scoring will be a little more conservative, and I think I will have to rely more on smart sit/start decisions and good roster changes. Plus, because I came in second, I will be second to last in our live draft at the end of the month. So I gotta be on my toes.

2) Jonathan's School Stuff ~ Jonathan needs new jeans, new shoes, a new backpack, a few more t-shirts, and his school supplies.

3) James's School Stuff ~ I'm homeschooling James this year, and we are both pretty excited to study U.S. History, beginning with the Revolutionary War. Yesterday I found a super awesome curriculum for him called Trail Guide to Learning ~ Paths of Settlement. It's a history-based classical curriculum that covers every subject except math, which is perfect for us because we already have our math curriculum, Math U See, which we heart lots and lots. And by we I mean me. James despises math with every fiber of his being.

In addition to those two curriculum sets, we will continue to focus on typing, apologetics, at-home PT and OT, social development, counseling, and whatever Seattle Children's throws our way once we have an appointment there. We've been on the 6-9 month waiting list since February 21, so it shouldn't be too much longer. Maybe another 1-2 months, I'm told. I might be overly optimistic about the help we'll get from Seattle Children's. I hope it doesn't turn out like Willow. "Everything'll be alright once we get to Tir Asleen." And then... Nockmaar soldiers. D'oh. But I'm sure God, you know, has a plan and stuff. After all, he loves James more than I do.