Thursday, July 25, 2013

Anything That Is Frightening

I read 1 Peter 3 this week via She Reads Truth, and I was struck by the last half of verse 6.

"Do not fear anything that is frightening."

In context, this struck me specifically as it relates to being a wife and mom. Around these parts, my job is to be Jeff's helper, train up my children, and nurture our home. In each of these areas, I have various fears. One great hindrance for me personally is my fear of water. It causes me to dread many tasks like cleaning, cooking, laundry, dishes, mopping, etc.

Guess what the Greek word for frightening is? Yep. Phobeo. From which, of course, we get our word phobia. But the verse doesn't simply say, "Do not fear." It gets specific. "Do not fear what you fear." Do not fear your phobias.

But how? How do I stop fearing my phobias?

Verse 5 tells me. "For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves..."

The women who hoped in God.

I want to be a woman who is defined by hope in God, not by fear of water, or by anything that is frightening.

Abba, please help me to exchange fear for hope in you.