Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Come to Me

I try to ask each morning, "Abba, what do You want me to do today?"

A week or so ago, He answered, "Come to Me, you who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest."

?????

Rest? Okay, cool. But I was asking about, like, chores and stuff. I'm all rested up! "No, what do You want me to DO today?"

"Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, and you will find rest for your soul."

I knew God was trying to tell me something about rest, but I couldn't quite grasp it. I tried to ponder it for a few minutes, but my brain started to hurt, so I shrugged and went about my morning, singing the alto line from the Messiah chorus. "His yo-o-oke is e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-easy. His bur-ur-then is li-i-ight. His bur-ur-then, his bur-ur-ur-ur-then is light!"

I'm a striver. Like my papa. Every day, I strive for stuff. I strive to be a better housekeeper, a better mom, a better wife, in better shape. Every day, I strive to be better. A very commendable American notion. To better myself.

Not so much Biblical, though.

On Sunday, the sermon was about how offensive the gospel is. Part of the reason it's offensive is because it tells me I can't better myself. I have no shot at righteousness apart from Christ. My life, and each aspect of it, is possible because Christ died for me. I can do the dishes because Christ died for me. I can eat properly because Christ died for me. I can listen to my children because Christ died for me. I can prepare food for Jeff because Christ died for me.

Basically, Matthew 11:28-30. "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

A yoke attaches two, side by side, and they pull together. Not trying to better myself, not trying to be good on my own, but yoked with Christ. That's rest.

I thought about what I try to ask God each morning. "What do You want me to do today?" Lately I've been wondering if that's the right question.

It's a good question. But God showed me that for me, there's a better question.

"What are WE doing today?" Because whatever we're doing, we're doing it yoked together.

So immensely comforting. Rest for my soul.