Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Wonder Women Wednesday ~ Wishful Thinking

Click here to learn more about Wonder Women Wednesday.

This week, I asked Jeana, "What is your earliest childhood memory?"

Read her answer here.

Jeana asked me, "What would be the perfect way to celebrate your birthday?"

Two things came to mind immediately.

The first: Several years ago, I realized that whenever I called my brother, Tony, on his birthday, he somehow always directed the conversation back around to asking me how I was doing and being an encouragement to me. Ever since then, I've tried to use my birthday as an opportunity to reach out to, encourage, and connect with the people who cross my path. My birthday is a day to love on others and focus on serving. It's not about what I can get. It's about what I can give. So my perfect birthday would be a day of giving.

Lest you become nauseated by this apparent ultra-piousness, let me tell you that the reason I see my birthday this way is because for the first 30-something birthdays, I was usually cranky at the end of the day, or sometimes all throughout the day, about unmet expectations. Somehow, my birthday represented a test to find out how much I was loved by those around me.

That's stupid.

Now, I want to focus on how much I can show love to those around me because that's way happier. So see? I'm not pious. Still just trying to make myself happy. :)

The second: My dad used to call me first thing in the morning every birthday and sing to me over the phone. My perfect birthday celebration would include him still being alive and calling me. So far, every birthday I've had since he died has begun with me sobbing so hard that I inadvertently woke Jeff up and subsequently soaked his t-shirt with tears and snot. I have hope that someday I will want to celebrate my birthday again, but right now, my perfect birthday celebration would be very quiet. No fanfare. Just those I trust, a game of cards, peace on earth, goodwill toward men.

And maybe an imported German Riesling. And a 90-minute massage. And a mani-pedi. And Coldstone. And the disappearance of all my food allergies. And a gift certificate for a lifetime of free housecleaning by Merry Maids, right? Can I get an amen? :)

How about you? How would you love to celebrate your birthday? And don't forget to head over to Jeana's blog and tell us your earliest happy childhood memory.