Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Wonder Women Wednesday: Words!

Click here to learn more about Wonder Women Wednesday.

This week, I asked Jeana, "What type of computer did you first use on a regular basis? And what type did you first own?" Read her answer here.

Jeana asked me, "What word(s) do you love the sound of? Do any words make you cringe?"

I do love words. For the past month or so, I've been enjoying one word in particular, every time I see it. In fact, I've started to look forward to driving past it just so I can read it again and say it out loud to myself in the car with a little happy smile on my face and joy in my heart.

I love it so much that I actually said to Jeff the other day, "You know what word I love?"

"What?" said the ever-accommodating husband.

"Lumberjack!" I grinned happily.

Jeff's eyes glazed over. "Ah," he replied dispassionately.

"It's just so fun to say. Lumberjack. Lumberjack."

"If you say so," Jeff conceded.

I see it on the route to school. There's a local business, apparently, called Lumberjack Tree Service, and they nailed an orange sign to a pine tree on the side of the road with the word LUMBERJACK in big, black letters across the top. I love it!

Not just because it's a fun word to say, but because logging is part of my family heritage on my dad's side. So whenever I see the word lumberjack, I see this picture in my mind:



It's my grandpa. Bein' a lumberjack. :) I adored my grandpa. So thinking about him makes me happy. :) So the word lumberjack makes me happy. :)

I don't hate any words passionately, but I am not overfond of the word hortondorton. No offense to anyone with the surname Horton Dorton, but when I was in high school, my literature teacher, Mr. Kesting, substituted the word hortondorton for every hard-to-pronounce name in The Illiad and The Odyssey. He wanted to make sure we didn't let the weird names keep us from soaking up the stories. I didn't let the weird names keep me from soaking up the stories, but the overuse of hortondorton put it ever after on my no-fly list.

How about you? Do you love or hate certain words? And don't forget to head over to Jeana's blog to read her answer to my question and tell us about your first computer.