Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Wonder Women Wednesday ~ Worst Job Ever


So Jeana and I wanted to blog more, but we needed ideas. Jeana suggested we ask each other questions every Wednesday and then blog the answers. I said I wouldn't be able to come up with any good questions, but Jeana said we could just ask things we're curious about. You know... like... things we WONDER. Thusly, Wonder Women Wednesday was born.

This week, I asked Jeana, "How was Ruby Willow born?" Read her answer here.

Jeana asked me, "What job did you have that you would never want to work again?"

Easy. The answer came immediately to mind because it was such a nightmare of a job.

I wanted to get out on my own after college, so I moved to Portland in the fall of 2000. I didn't have a job lined up, but the job market was fabulous back then and I'd never had trouble getting a job, so I wasn't worried. After I got settled, I checked the want ads once, sent out three resumes, and landed a job as an office manager a week later, at the highest rate I'd earned to date.

Two months later, I quit.

Why?

Quite simply, my boss was emotionally abusive.

I'm not going to bother to try to give specifics. Those who've been abused emotionally are hard put to describe the abuse quantifiably to the satisfaction of those who haven't been emotionally abused. The un-abused can't see how the abuse is abuse. But the fellow abused get it.

Others in the office were able to handle his abuse and respond maturely, but I was not mature, I had no boundaries, and I took everything personally. Then the boss asked me to do something illegal. Plus, I was about to get married. All things considered, I found enough justifiable reasons to run away. Which I did.

I love working in offices, so I would definitely return to that type of job, but I would never work for that boss again.

However, I'm thankful I had that experience because in addition to the fact that it was God's provision for me at that time, He used it to give me understanding of emotional abuse and compassion for victims. When a friend is describing emotional abuse to me, I can tell her that I get it. That I know she's not making it up. That her pain is valid. That she is not crazy. That she's loved.

That's how Jesus relates to us when we come to Him. He gets it. He knows our pain. He doesn't think we're crazy. And He loves us.

"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." ~Hebrews 4:15-16

How about you? What job did you have that you would never want to work again? Leave your answer as a comment. We'd love to hear your story. And be sure to head over to Jeana's blog to read her answer to my question.