Tuesday, July 10, 2012

I'm Messed Up

"It took me far too long to discover that my weakness is my testimony." ~ Charlie Peacock

I read that quote on Twitter earlier this week, and it just keeps rolling around in my brain. My weakness is my testimony.

Reminds me of a verse.

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." ~ 2 Corinthians 12:9

I think what this means is that I'm supposed to say, basically, "Here's how I'm messed up, and here's how God is fixing it." Right?

And truly, I do love hearing how other people are messed up and how God fixes it. But I'd rather hear their stories than tell my own. Mine are painful and embarrassing, heartbreaking and devastating. And boring, after a while.

Plus, wouldn't I just sound like I'm whining about my circumstances or airing my dirty laundry? Well, sure, if all I share is what's messed up. I need both sides of the equation because the point is that GOD FIXES IT.

"For God has consigned all to disobedience, that he may have mercy on all." ~ Romans 11:32

That he may have mercy on all. My weaknesses show his mercy. And his power. And his grace. If I share how I'm messed up and then share how God saved the day, then I'm testifying.

This is just something I'm mulling over. What's your take on it?