Thursday, June 7, 2012

How They See Me: Why I Joined the Hands-Free Revolution

In March, I interviewed James and Jonathan to find out how they see me, using Jeana's kid interview questions.

James, Age 10

1. What is something your mom always says to you?
I love you.

2. What makes your mom happy?
Me.

3. What makes your mom sad?
Me gone?

4. How does your mom make you laugh?
When you freak out about bugs. That gives me a small chuckle.

5. What was your mom like as a child?
You liked to play Shinobi.

6. How old is your mom?
34?

7. How tall is your mom?
Five something.

8. What is her favorite thing to do?
Play Scrabble.

9. What does your mom do when you're not around?
Facebook.

10. If your mom becomes famous, what will it be for?
Writing.

11. What is your mom really good at?
Playing piano.

12. What is your mom not very good at?
Realizing the importance of technology in our generation.

13. What does your mom do for a job?
Clean up after me. Usually.

14.What is your mom's favorite food?
Tomatoes?

15.What makes you proud of your mom?
Playing the piano at church. But usually I'm kinda more of a guitar guy.

16. If your mom were a cartoon character, who would she be?
You're as live-action as possible. Linda from Phineas and Ferb. But I'm not saying you're boring.

17. What do you and your mom do together?
Play card games. And you help me write my novel. And help with homework.

18. How are you and your mom the same?
We both like to read and write.

19. How are you and your mom different?
You've got a tiny computer and I've got a big one.

20. How do you know your mom loves you?
You constantly tell me about a hundred million times a day. And you help me with my homework and be my scribe. You listen to me.

21. What does your mom like most about your dad?
He's tough.

22. Where is your mom's favorite place to go?
The beach?

23. What do you think of your mom?
You're a great person. Extremely loving, trustworthy, and loyal.


Jonathan, Age 8

1. What is something your mom always says to you?
Technically, I love you.

2. What makes your mom happy?
I don't know; they're your feelings. Me?

3. What makes your mom sad?
Me leaving?

4. How does your mom make you laugh?
I only laugh at cartoon characters getting squashed.

5. What was your mom like as a child?
Young and innocent.

6. How old is your mom?
That's a question you can answer yourself. It's your age. I don't really care about the age. I just care about you.

7. How tall is your mom?
Somewhere, like, I think, like, five feet? I think?

8. What is her favorite thing to do?
Play Scrabble.

9. What does your mom do when you're not around?
How should I know? I'm not there! Facebook?

10. If your mom becomes famous, what will it be for?
Being a great piano player.

11. What is your mom really good at?
Playing piano. And loving me. Kissing and hugging. You're definitely good at emailing.

12. What is your mom not very good at?
Beating me in a video game.

13. What does your mom do for a job?
I don't think you have a job. Usually be on your computer and play Scrabble most of the time. And kiss Dad. And make lunch.

14.What is your mom's favorite food?
I don't know; they're your tastebuds. Definitely not peas. Pickles!

15.What makes you proud of your mom?
Everything. I always like you.

16. If your mom were a cartoon character, who would she be?
Oooo... this is a hard one. But... probably Lola. The crazy one from the Looney Tunes Show.

17. What do you and your mom do together?
Play cards, basically almost everything. Bascially. Almost.

18. How are you and your mom the same?
We have the same face.

19. How are you and your mom different?
You like cauliflower and I hate it.

20. How do you know your mom loves you?
You say it every day. And with kisses.

21. What does your mom like most about your dad?
His goatee?

22. Where is your mom's favorite place to go?
I don't know. Washington? To see your relatives?

23. What do you think of your mom?
Wonderful, amazing, and relatively awesome.


So basically, I love them, I'm sad when they're gone, I'm still in my early 30's, I think their dad is hot, and I'm relatively awesome. Relatively.

Also, I spend way too much time on my laptop.

*sigh*

After these interviews were conducted, I decided that for Lent, I would relegate social networking exclusively to my phone. This drastically cut down on my social networking time because my phone is pretty slow, and the Facebook Android app is still quite lame, as you know.

Partway through my personal commitment, I discovered the hands-free revolution, which is a movement by moms to keep their hands free of technological devices whilst interacting with their children. (Well, that's what it means to me. Each mom tailors it to herself.) Anyway, for the remainder of Lent, I made a point not just to look up from my phone to interact with my children, but to actually set it down or pocket it.

It went great. I liked being hands-free-er, and the boys liked it, too. I'm going to do the same thing for the summer, and then maybe, the next time I interview my children, they (and I) will have discovered that their mom is interested in more than just digital Scrabble.

(And I totally am, you know. Interested in more than just Scrabble. I also like Angry Birds.)