Saturday, May 5, 2012

Big Plans for Small Puppies ~ Daisy



When the puppies were tiny and I was extremely anxious about keeping them alive, my cousin, Samantha, reminded me that God cares about them for their own sakes. I repeated that phrase to myself for weeks, and it brought great comfort.

Eventually, my basic thought was, "God has a plan for the puppies. Sure. To send us to Disneyland. That's His plan for the puppies."

But as I met each of the families who took our sweet Goldens home, I began to realize that God's plan was so much bigger, and so much more personal... for us, for each puppy individually, and for every adoptive family.

As a whole, Jeff and I learned some valuable lessons about selling puppies, and we will do things a bit differently next time. Our boys learned that it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all, and they learned that the joy puppies bring is meant to be shared and spread from family to family to family.

Most of all, it was just so fascinating to get a little glimpse of God's plan for each puppy and realize, over and over, what a big God He is and how much He cares about His children. I'm excited to tell you all about it.

For this post, I'll start with Daisy.



She was my favorite for a while because she was so playful with her siblings, and she was the first to figure stuff out like walking, leaping, and praising God.

She was also the first to be adopted. She went to a young newlywed couple with no kids. They just finished buying their first home, and now they have their first puppy. The couple each had dogs growing up, their parents have dogs nearby, and they are especially excited to introduce Daisy to their three-year-old niece who just loves puppies.

The couple had dreamed of having a dog for a long time, and they waited patiently until just the right time. God planned a little roly-poly ball of fur, innocent and oblivious, to be nothing less than the fulfillment of a dream. What a beautiful plan.