Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Musical Puppy Update



I confess to currently singing this song from VeggieTales with alarming frequency.

Puppies are cuddly, puppies are cute
They're never nasty or mean
I'd give a home to all the lost puppies
If ever one day I were queen!

It's time for a puppy update, laced with the songs they put in my head.

First of all, the puppies look totally different than they did the last time I posted about them, so I will introduce you to them all over again:


Well, this is Rosy. She looks about the same, I guess. Maybe happier, though. I haven't snagged a pic of it yet, but Rosy is often to be found where all moms go for a moment of peace and quiet: the bathtub.


This is Fiona.

She reminds me of a song from Shrek: The Musical. I never saw Shrek: The Musical. Only three musical numbers from it on the special features of one of the Shrek movies. In the musical, Fiona sings a cute lament about waiting for her prince. At one point, she turns her face to the sky and sings, "Are you there, God? It's me, Fiona... It's me, Fiona..."

Every time I pick up Fiona, I sing, "It's me, Fiona..."


This is Axel.

He makes me think of Axel F. You know. This one.


This is Sunny.

She makes me think of "Sunshine Day" by The Brady Bunch.

You know.

Well, I think I'll go for a walk outside now
The summer sun's callin' my name
I hear ya now
I just can't stay inside all day
Gotta get out, get me some of those rays!


This is Cole.

He makes me think:

I was born one mornin' when the sun didn't shine
I picked up my shovel and I walked to the mine
I loaded sixteen ton of number nine coal
And the strongboss said, "Well a-bless my soul."

Gotta love Tennessee Ernie Ford. And his magical voice.


This is Daisy.

People kept asking me if I had a favorite puppy, and I didn't, really. But the other day, I saw Daisy walk randomly up to one of her siblings and bat him in the face with her paw. Hilarious! She is now my hands-down favorite. She makes me sing, with Beatrice Kay:

Daisy, daisy, give me your answer, do
I'm half crazy all for the love of you
It won't be a stylish marriage
I can't afford a carriage
But you'll look sweet upon the seat
Of a bicycle built for two


This is Angel.

She makes me think of Bobby Vinton.


This is Wicket.

He makes me think of Ewoks using storm trooper helmets as drums.


This is Arwen.

She makes me think of this, of course.


This is Artoo.

He makes me think of John Williams. Which makes me think of this. Which makes me sing, ala Close Encounters of the Third Kind, "You must use the force..."


This is Shadow.

He makes me sing this children's song off a record we used to have when I was about five:

Me and my shadow, my shadow and me
We're always together, as close as can be
We make pictures on the floors and the walls
Like rabbits and dogs, and that's not all
Wherever we go, we have company
Me and my shadow, my shadow and me!


Here is the only picture I was able to snap of a whole entire puppy from head to tail. And you can't even seen Sunny's face! (Sunshine day...) From this we learn that the puppies have reached the squirmy phase.


This is Wicket, sniffing curiously at his mama over my left shoulder. The puppies can smell her coming a mile away, and with one voice, out of the deep, they cry unto her, "Mama! Let thine ear consider well the voice of my complaint! I'm hungry!" (That's why she goes and hides in the bathtub.)


They have teeth now, as Arwen was happy to demonstrate for us. I have no doubt they will eventually shred this vinyl to bits.


Fiona tries to bite off Shadow's snout. The puppies are just little novice wrestlers right now, and they are quite comical to watch.


Because we bottle fed for a while, they have labeled my scent as a food source.


Whenever I put my hand in, they try to get milk out of it.


And my favorite new thing about the puppies is that they have realized they are not alone in the world. There are people outside the whelping box, and they want to get to know them. Especially my little trailblazer, Daisy. Here she is researching camera angles, lighting, and shutter speed. She's super smart.

Oh. And there's one more song the puppies are putting in my head this week... Happy birthday! They are one month old. :)

Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday, dear puppies
Happy birthday to you!


This is Sunny listening to me sing. The puppies like to sing along. And when I play the piano, they howl. They are very musical puppies.

So there you have it. All ten puppies are thriving. We are all done bottle feeding because Rosy is producing enough milk and the puppies have graduated to puppy chow. Their next big adventure will be wormer and puppy shots! And as soon as it stops raining, we'll take them outside to explore the great outdoors and meet their dad. They are big enough now that he will not try to eat them. So that's happy.