Sunday, January 22, 2012

Two Themes ~ One for the Blog, One for the Year

My cousin asked me about blog themes last week, and as I did a little checking for her, I caught the blog rearranging bug. Here's the new look. I like it. It's me.

Okay. That's all I have to say about the blog theme.

Really, this post is about my Theme for the Year. It's important. It gets Mid-Sentence Caps.

Last year, my theme was contentment, and it morphed into gratitude as I read 1,000 Gifts. I found it kind of appropriate that I started the book in January and finished it in December.

This year, my theme is Home. And by Home I mean the people who live in it.

My blogging rule for the year is to never write about a task I have not completed. See, I just like to think up ideas, and I don't necessarily like to implement them. When I write about a task I want to do, I flesh the idea out in writing, and then I'm bored with it and I never do it.

So if I don't flesh out my ideas in writing, then I have to flesh them out as I implement them. So this year, I will try to implement them first, and hopefully, I'll care enough afterward to write about them. I don't know. We'll see.

That said, I'm not going to really talk about my plans for the Year of Home. But I will say this much:

Step One ~ Focus on God.

Step Two ~ Focus on Jeff.

Step Three ~ Focus on the boys.

Step Four ~ Focus on the space we live in.

I'm happy to tell you right off about two completed tasks.

1) To organize my days, I'm using this daily checklist from A Holy Experience, combined with this chore chart from Motivated Moms, and I luuuuv it. Basically, what I do is I pick stuff off the Motivated Moms chore chart and write it on the Daily Planner. Cuz there's no way on God's green earth that I can actually do everything on the chore chart, right? Can I get an amen?

2) As a family, we are doing something to. ta. lly. un. pre. ce. dent. ed. Totally. Get this. Every time we finish using a dish, we rinse it and put it in the dishwasher. I run the dishwasher every night and empty it every morning, and Jeff wipes off the counters. The kitchen is, like, always clean. Who knew, right? So that's fun.

3) Every evening, we are having family devotions. Jeff reads the daily devotional from Truth for Kids, and then the boys read to us out of the Action Bible their Uncle Ben gave them for Christmas. Then we pray together as a family.

So that's it for now.

Oh. Also, I am learning to knit. I'm making a shawl. It's red.

...to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.

~Titus 2:4b-5