Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Food Gratitude: Days 1 & 2

I have food allergies. I've known about them for a few years, and in the beginning I tried to eat properly, but for the past while I've basically been ignoring the allergies and eating whatever I darn well please.

This has not worked out for me very well.

(Stupid food allergies.)

It came to my attention recently that I might get along better in life if I stopped eating the things I am allergic to.

(Stupid logic.)

So I pulled my dog-eared, food-caked allergy report out of my recipe notebook and refamiliarized myself with what I'm not supposed to eat. Then I wrote myself a note and put it on the refrigerator.



P.S. Magnets by Jeana.

Then I stopped eating all the foods I am allergic to. Boys howdy. I'm allergic to a lot of stuff. It has been stinkin' hard to change my eating patterns. The most difficult challenges have been giving up cheese and steering clear of gluten.

I felt very greatly comforted by this video.



Last night, as my husband, my brother, and my sister-in-law enjoyed yummy hamburgers on regular buns and I wrapped my burger meat in lettuce leaves, I grumbled a little. Grumble, grumble, grumble. Then, guilt-ridden and self-condemning, I mocked myself, voice dripping with sarcasm. "I'm not complaining... I'm grateful for this lettuce bun."

It occurred to me that I was actually thankful for the lettuce bun, and it was extremely refreshing to take a bite without the accompanying guilt-voice in my brain repeating endlessly, "This is bad for you. This is bad for you. This is bad for you."

So... that's happy.

But this lifestyle change is a very hard one for me, and I do have a strong tendency to grumble through changes. So I would like to try, this month, to focus my 30 Days of Gratitude on the allergy-free foods I am able to eat. I think it'll help with the transition part, and I know it'll help with the heart-obedience part.

"So, whether you eat or drink,
or whatever you do,
do all to the glory of God."

~1 Corinthians 10:31

So here goes.

Day 1: I'm thankful for gluten-free cornbread and lettuce-wrapped burgers.
Day 2: I'm thankful for fried rice.