Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Just Gettin' Started

Everyone stayed home sick today. Fall flu.

In the interest of coziness, I decided to burn a candle. Pumpkin spice. I thought about drinking the pumpkin spice tea I bought mostly for decor at the beginning of October, but meh. Too much work.

The candle was nice, though. I have this candle holder that I got... hmmmm.... I don't remember when. Or where. I put pumpkin spice votive candles in it all the time. Today, I found there was half a pumpkin spice candle already in it, so I lit the candle, anticipating that I would need to replace it after a couple of hours.

I lit it around 11am.

It is now 9:45pm.

That same candle is still burning.

After staring at it for several hours, I started to feel like that woman in the Bible whose jar of oil never ran out.

After another hour, it occurred to me that the candle reminded me of God's faithfulness.

After a couple more hours, I said to Jeff, "I'm surprised this candle is burning so long. I thought it would have gone out by now."

Jeff said, "There's all that wax in there from the other candles. It'll burn a while yet. It's got hours left."

Hours? I half-expected it to splutter and snuff out while I spoke.

You see, I had seen exactly how much candle there was to burn when I lit that half a votive at 11am. I know how long it takes votive candles to burn. I knew that after that candle burned down to nothing, I would need to find another candle to put in my candle holder.

I was wrong.

Just when I thought the candle would surely go out, Jeff declared that it had hours left to burn.

The theme of God's faithfulness already pressing its way into my awareness, it didn't take me too much longer to make the connection.

When I think I'm at the end, God's just gettin' started.



The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.

Lamentations 3:22-23