Monday, October 3, 2011

How to Become a Prayer Warrior

I've always wanted to be a prayer warrior. I have this idea that I'll wake up someday and *poof!* Be a prayer warrior.

It's not happening.

Last month, in my Bible study prayer group, one of my prayer requests was that I would pray more. There was no *poof* the next morning.

This morning, my cousin, Kara, announced that prayer is this month's topic on her blog, A Deeper Walk with God. Naturally, that got me thinking about prayer. Almost enough to actually close Facebook and pray.

Then I read a quote by Ira Glass that my cousin, Sam, posted on her Facebook wall:


I replied in the comments, "I heard this a few years back in reference to writing. The #1 rule of becoming a good writer is to write. And keep writing."

That basic principle is why I blog. So that someday, I will blog well. It's also why I work on my novel. So that someday, maybe I will have a good novel.

Eventually, I did actually close Facebook and pick up my prayer journal to take a stab at talking to God. Halfway through my second sentence, I made the connection.

"Abba, I want to be a praying Becky. I don't have very much to say today, but it occurs to me as I write that just as the #1 rule of becoming a good writer is to write and keep writing, the #1 rule of becoming a prayer warrior is to pray and keep praying."

AHA.

*POOF*

I hadn't realized that I thought my prayers weren't good enough. But I was raised in the subculture of flowery Christianese prayers, and I have never been able to spew forth in kind. My prayers are choppy and fumbly and look more like weeds than flowers. When I pray aloud, I feel like people snicker.

But they don't, actually. It is only the devil snickering. He is the liar.

The truth is that the Holy Spirit intercedes for me, so it doesn't matter how articulate I am. It doesn't matter if my prayers look like roses or dandelions. It doesn't matter if I'm fumbly or choppy or don't quite get the point across.

The truth is that the #1 rule of becoming a prayer warrior is to pray.

And keep praying.

"Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God." ~Romans 8:26-27