Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Deep Waters

People keep telling me that I'm in deep waters.

"The Lord has given you the grace to navigate some deep waters," one stranger said recently, in reference to the aftermath of suicide.

I see the deep water. It's all I can see. No land in sight. But I don't feel like I'm navigating anything. I don't even feel like I'm treading water. I'm just out there in the middle of the ocean, bobbing up and down in my life jacket like Mark Wahlberg at the end of The Perfect Storm.

But in Scripture, God is compared to water.

Jeremiah 2:13 says that God is the fountain of living waters. In John 4, Jesus tells the woman at the well that He is the source of living water. John 7:38 describes the Holy Spirit as living water. Revelation 7:17 says the Lamb in the midst of the throne will guide His sheep to springs of living water.

If water is from God, then so is deep water. If I am in deep water, then the truth is that I am in deep Christ. Nothing else in sight. Only Christ.

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you."
~Isaiah 43:2a