Saturday, July 23, 2011

A Becky Quilt

I'm making a quilt.

Jeff and I used to have a comforter large enough to house the pair of us, but when Rosy was a puppy, she chewed it to pieces. Since that time, we've used separate twin blankets.

At first, I really enjoyed having my own covers because Jeff is a covers hog. He gets mixed up about which way is up. He pulls his top corner over his shoulder, and then he thinks his bottom corner is his top corner, so he pulls it up to the top, which pulls my bottom corner off my feet as it becomes his bottom corner. I end up with one corner which I try piteously to hang onto for dear life and wrap around one shoulder, while he burrows down happily and obliviously inside the other three.

I'm not exactly sure why he enjoyed having his own covers. Wait. I'll go ask.

He doesn't remember. No, wait. He remembers something, vaguely. He claims he would wake up without covers. I maintain that is because with all the blanket corners he amassed, the comforter fell on the floor on his side of the bed. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Besides, I'm the light sleeper in this outfit; I'm much more qualified to report on covers usage.

Anywho, we are bored of having separate covers. We want to share again, irregular cover corner distribution notwithstanding.

We thought about buying a comforter. Meh. We want a quilt, and I've been wanting to make a quilt. So, quilt it is.

It's not a regular quilt. It's very non-standard, very Becky-ish, and definitely one of a kind.

See, here's what I decided.

I have this ginormicus king-sized red coverlet. Not warm enough. We've tried to do coverlet, blanket, top sheet, but with Jeff being blanket corner challenged, the whole business shimmies out of whack faster than you can say covers hog.

The boys have Diego comforters that we bought them something like four houses ago, and they've worn them through to the batting. Jeff is building bunkbeds, so we got the boys new bedding to go on their new beds. Clone Wars for James, MarioKart for Jonathan.

I have a king-sized top sheet that we never use because of the aforementioned shimmy issue.

So, I decided to put the batting from the boys' old comforters between the coverlet and the top sheet and sew the whole business together.

But that's not all.

My friend, Laurie, taught me how to make these really cool little flowers out of ribbon, and a whole bunch of them adorn the curtains Jeff and I made a couple of summers ago. They're white eyelet curtains with red tab tops. The little flowers trim each tab.

My first idea was to make a lot more ribbon flowers to dot the top of the quilt and tack the batting in place. But that seemed sort of a weak showing of white in contrast to the domineering solid red of the coverlet. Then I decided to put an eyelet ruffle on three sides of the quilt. So pretty! And matching my curtains! But I wanted more. So I decided to put a satin ribbon 18" in from the edge of the quilt and embroider a massive rose outline in the center. I am especially excited about that part. Plus, that will keep me from becoming blind and arthritic constructing copious amounts of ribbon flowers. (Yes, I know hand-embroidering a giant rose is more work. No one asked you.)

I had some of the supplies already, namely the coverlet, batting, top sheet, thread, and ten flower ribbons leftover from the curtain project. I went to the store this morning to get the rest. I bought white sheer ribbon with satin edging for flowers (I only have to make 28), white satin ribbon for my rose frame, white embroidery floss for my rose, and... not eyelet lace. That stuff is stinkin' expensive. I promptly decided I hated eyelet lace ruffles and had really wanted a white satin ribbon trim around the outside quilt edge all along. Besides, it's the principle of the thing. I'm being a frugalista, and premium-priced eyelet lace is not in keeping with my standards of quilt morality.

Step one is to sew the rose frame ribbon into place. After that, I will draw the rose outline with a nifty white fabric pencil. Then I will become an embroiderin' fool. After that, I will make little flower ribbons until my eyes cross. Then Jeff will sew the coverlet, batting and top sheet together. Then I will tack my flower ribbons in the 18" border between the satin rose frame and satin blanket trim. Then it will be finished.

It will be totally gorgeous.

I'm excited.

DISCLAIMER: I plan to blog about this quilting process. But you should know my mind is made up. I'm not like your other creative friends who like to exchange ideas. I'm a little sister about my projects. Just ask my big sister. I can do it all by myself without your help, even if your ideas would make it infinitely easier. Your creative suggestions will fall on deaf ears. My lifelong friends and family are now nodding and muttering, "Yep, that's exactly how she is."