Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Get-Well Bouquet

When we got home from the hospital, we found that God had made us a bouquet of flowers. I, of course, photographed them, and then I had some fun editing them in Picnik. Just for kicks, here is each raw snapshot followed by its edit. In many cases, the original is fine all by itself. But editing is fun. So I edit.


Raw.


I like how this edit brings out the redness of the blooms and accentuates the fence. This is CinemaScope.


Raw.


The rose in this edit is a little bright for me. I used Lomo-ish.


Raw.


I tried white matte on this. I like it.


Raw.


Pink!


I like this original. It also provided very many editing options. Fun.


Infrared.


Holga-ish.


HDR-ish with white matte.


Sepia with effects painting on the blooms.


CinemaScope. It offers black letterboxing, but I don't like that, so I took the letterboxing out and added back in a black vignette around the edges. This one is my fav edit.


Orton-ish. Sort of wedding-y.


1960's. I think this one brings the blooms and water droplets into sharpest focus. But I still like CinemaScope better.


Raw.


Cross process.


Raw.


Lomo-ish. I really like this edit.


Raw.


CinemaScope.


Raw.


Holga-ish. I like this effect.


I just softened this and whitened the edges. Wedding-y again.


Raw.


Well, I'm particularly pleased that this edit brought my vine maple closer to my favorite color of red. This is the 1960's effect.


Raw. Helicopter!


CinemaScope.


Holga-ish. I like how it turns the helicopter so white.


1960's.


Raw.


CinemaScope.


Raw.


CinemaScope. I like CinemaScope.


Raw.


I don't remember which edit I used on this. I was trying to bring the heads into the sharpest focus, and I tried a bunch of different effects before settling on this one.


Raw.


1960's.


Raw. Irises! Yay!


Lomo-ish.


Raw.


CinemaScope.


Lomo-ish.


Raw.


I think I like the original of this one better, but I used the 1960's edit because it brings out the purple a little, and it reminds me of where I first became familiar with this little bloom - Grandpa and Grandma's house. I used to sit out in their driveway and suck the flavor out of each little stalk.

I didn't know, going into the hospital, that we had long-stemmed red roses in our yard. And I was pretty sure the irises were irises, but I expected them to be purple. I was delighted to come home to such lovely promises from Abba.

"Consider the lilies of the field..."