Friday, April 15, 2011

Warrior Prayers and Georgia Pine



Jeff and I get along super great. We're pretty good roommates, we make each other laugh, we love being together, we're best friends. I like him. A lot. Best man ever. Best husband ever. Best dad ever.

But we've had this one fight, see, about the boys. Ever since... well... ever since we've had the boys.

My claim has been that Jeff sometimes speaks to the boys in a tone of voice that causes permanent damage to their psyches. Jeff's counterclaim has been that I don't trust him at all as a parent.

Two extreme claims from two extremists. Yep. That's how we roll.

Do I trust Jeff with the boys? Of course I do.

Is he permanently damaging their psyches with his tone of voice?

(Shoot! If only I didn't have my rule about Jeff pre-approving all my blog posts!)

(I'm kidding.)

(He knows I'm kidding.)

Anyway, I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I'm sure I'm a teeeeeency bit untrusting of the tone of voice that mayyyyyyyyyybe causes a teeeeeeency bit of damage to their psyches.

(You should see what Jeff looks like when he narrows his eyes at me. He's fearsome.)

I have a point. I do. Really.

We believe in the united front thing. Jeff's, like, WAY exponentially better at it than I am. Mostly because on this issue, I have a history of turning into a mama bear. Rrrrrrraaawwwrrrr... You breaka my kid, I breaka you face.

It took my mom (marriage counselor extraordinaire) a few years to convince me that while it wasn't certain that Jeff was causing permanent damage to his boys' psyches by his tone of voice, it was nearly scientifically proven that my vocal, defiant reaction to possible damage was absolutely causing certain damage.

It took me a few more years to believe her.

Now I'm, like, perfect.

Just kidding. (Again.)

The past couple of years, it's been all quiet on the western front onaccounta God helps me wait until Jeff and I are alone before I spew mama bear vitriol at him. Those are his very. favorite. talks. EVER.

(Still kidding.)

Here's the thing. God is using Warrior Prayers to march Jeff and I past looking united as parents to actually being united as parents.

It's a miracle!

I trust a little more, he uses that tone I hate a little less. This is the Georgia Pine stuff of our marriage. Ain't no road too long when we meet in the middle.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The middle is Jesus Christ.

For He Himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in His flesh the dividing wall of hostility. ~Ephesians 2:14

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWKpCmPdGmM?rel=0&w=480&h=390]

P.S. You may need to visit my blog to see this awesome, awesome video. What do you think they're fighting about? My money's on the mullets. Or the, um, coordinating checker pattern.