Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Scorpion Queen

When Jonathan crawled into bed to cuddle with me this morning, I asked, "How was your sleep?"

"Horrifying," he whispered.

"Can you tell me about it?"

Pause... "Okay..."

"Tell me all about it."

"Well, I only remember the horrifying part."

"Okay."

"There was this female rule, and if you didn't follow the rule, you turned into something else."

"You had to follow the rule or else you turned into something else?"

"No, you, Mom. You had to follow the rule."

"Oh, okay. I had to follow the rule."

"And the rule was that you had to gaze with, like, a laser gaze, and if you didn't do it, you disintegrated and became something else. And you didn't do it. And then your upper half was still you, but your lower half turned into a deadly scorpion. And your hair was all weird."

"Was it, like, scorpion hair?"

"Mm-hmm... and it was..."

A word too terrible to say. Letters drawn in the air.

"E...v...i...l," I guessed. "Evil?"

Reluctant whisper. "Yes."

"So... then I wasn't your mom anymore."

Distressed, sad frown. Vigorous nod.

"It must have been so nice to wake up and find that I was still your mom, and not an evil scorpion."

Extra vigorous nod. Distress melting away.

"Jonathan, I will always be your mama. I will never turn into something evil."

"Whew!"

"You know how I know?"

"Umm... because you're my mom?"

"Because the Bible tells me so. When we became Christians, the Holy Spirit put a seal on us that no one can break, and it's a promise that we will keep getting better and better."

"Oh." Genuine relief. World right side up again. "Good."

I'm with Jonathan. Good indeed.

"In Him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in Him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of His glory" (Ephesians 1:13-14).

Whew!