Sunday, February 6, 2011

Rivendell ~ Smells Like Green Salad



Jeff spent a couple of days this week finding the orchard. I went outside to be by him while he mowed, and we both noticed a distinctive, fresh scent on the air, separate from the aroma of freshly mown grass.



Turns out we have a pretty healthy crop of green onion in the front yard. So that's happy. And yummy.



This is the alpha goat on the other side of the fence from our orchard. Every time I approach the fence, he turns tail and walks quickly away. So I tried to sneak up on him by taking two steps, snapping a picture, taking two steps, snapping a picture. I wanted to see how close I could get before he felt threatened enough to show me his behind. The fence in each shot shows you what kind of progress I made, and these shots are all with my zoom as zoomy as it gets. The bottom middle shot is the closest I've ever been to that goat. Usually, he bleats personal remarks at me, but this time, I think he was mesmerized by my neato red camera.



Jeff tells me this is a salt block holder. (One of the previous tenants had horses.) Also, it is red. I take pictures of red things.



This is Jack, my best sweet kitty. He's been with me since the day I watched him emerge, slimy, from his mama's womb on August 12, 1999. But he's not slimy anymore. He is my best sweet kitty. Also, he weighs 25 pounds. Don't mess with him.



This is the bottom half of our orchard, from Jack to the giant redwood at the bottom which you can sorta see.



Another view of the orchard. I took this picture standing underneath the branches of the giant redwood. Jack is showing the neighbor goat how to stay still for pictures.



I found ivy! I love ivy.



Look what else I found! No, not the still-sealed bottle of historic automatic transmission fluid.



This! I don't know what is going to bloom from it. Jeff says daffodils. Yay! Daffodils are my favorite spring flower!