Saturday, July 17, 2010

Morning Glories

We have to move by the end of the summer, and we don't know where we're going. So today, when I hiked up the hill north of Newberg, I kept my eye open for signs of a particular nature. Real estate signs. A "for rent" sign would have been happy. A "for sale by owner/will carry contract" sign would have been super cool. An "onsite caretaker needed" sign would have been spectacular.

Nary a sign in sight. *sigh*

I spent most of my walk on gravel back roads, enjoying the beauty of the morning. But after about 5.5 miles, and no real estate signs, I reached the boring, busy, paved, dangerous highway. I had to walk a mile and a half down it to get back to my car, so I sort of put my head down and went for it, somewhat downcast.

And then I saw them. A sign. Not a real estate sign, but something better.


Morning glories. Shooting up through the gravel, dancing in the breeze, decorating the side of the road. Just like God's children who bear up under trial.


Firm and hardy, even while covered with bugs and chocking on grass. Brilliantly white, healthy and strong. Just like God promises to keep me.

But the morning glories were doing something specific that created the joy they effused:


They were reaching for the sun, basking in its light, focused on its glory. And in so doing, they became a reflection of the sun's brilliancy. Just like a heart that is looking to Abba.

We don't know where we'll move, but Abba certainly does. He hasn't told us yet because there are things for us to learn in the waiting.

Like how to trust Him one day at a time.

And how to reach for the light, focusing on His glory.

And how to dance in the breeze, giving praise to Him.

No matter what.