Thursday, April 29, 2010

That's Gonna Leave a Mark

This is my footprint. See it?



I stepped once on this spot, and it left a mark for all the world to see. In a few days, it will get rained on, or buried by sawdust, or covered over by someone else's footprint.

Mom and I have been walking every day for a few weeks now. Before we walk, we stretch out. Today, at the place where I stretch my calves, I noticed two black marks on the cement floor in the garage.



They didn't form on the first day I stretched my calves. They developed over three weeks' time, until they were suddenly noticeable. Even after I cease to use that spot to stretch my calves, the marks will still be there. (Sorry, Mom.)

When you feel like your daily tasks are useless...

or you've repeated the same instruction to your children until you're blue in the face...

or your life seems to have slowed to a stagnant plod...

or you wonder what's the point of praying...

or it seems like you've read that passage of Scripture a hundred times before and you're still not getting anything out of it...

...close your eyes and think about footprint stains on cement. Take comfort in the knowledge that you are being faithful, and over time, that's gonna leave a mark.