Friday, February 12, 2010

With Him

This morning I told Jeff wistfully that I wished I could do as much for him as he does for me. It seems to me that he gives and gives, and I take and take. I would like the playing field to be a bit more even, but no matter how much I give, he always gives more. It's not fair, really.

Jeff didn't agree. He said I do give to him.

"How?" I asked. "I sleep in your bed?"

He grinned slyly, "That's enjoyable..."

Guessing again, I ventured, "And I know it doesn't mean as much to you as it does to me, but I listen to you, too, right?"

Jeff replied affirmingly, "Yes, that's good..." Then with tears in his eyes, he continued, "But the big thing is that you're with me. The first thing wrong with creation, and you fix it. It's not good for man to be alone. You're with me."

Well, of course I'm with him. Why wouldn't I be with someone I can't out-give no matter how hard I try? Why wouldn't I be with someone who lavishes me with love and gentleness and acceptance and care and wisdom every single day? Why wouldn't I be with someone who spoils me so completely beyond anything I deserve? Of course I'm with him.

Very much like my relationship with God.

He gives and I take. I try to give back and it always fall short. No matter how much I give, it doesn't begin compare with what He gives first and gives back. It's not fair, really.

(Grace defined, of course.)

But God doesn't accept me because of what I give to Him. He delights in me because I am with Him. And He gave everything to make it possible.

More than He desires our good works, or what we give back to Him, or our inane attempts to somehow even the playing field, He simply longs for His children to be with Him.

"Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love." ~John 15:9