Saturday, November 7, 2009

Yahweh Yireh: Even the Fun Stuff

We hoped to travel to southern California this past summer to visit my dear friends. But Jeff ran out of work, and we ran out of money, so we stayed home. Two very devastated boys had to miss out on two long-anticipated events in their little lives. Legoland and Disneyland.

Recently, they remembered our cancelled trip and mourned vociferously the theme-park-lessness of their lives. Buy hey. I didn't make it to Disneyland until I was nearly 20, and they didn't even have Legoland until I was 23. And somehow, I survived my childhood. Barely.

But silently, I mourned with my boys.

Turns out Someone Else had compassion on the boys too, because He orchestrated our attendance at two grand events that brought balm to their souls. (And mine.)

The first, which I've already blogged a bit about, was the Lego Yoda Master Builder event at our local mall. First of all, we have the only Lego Store in our state. So that's nifty all by itself. But a giant eight-foot Yoda is rarer still. Doesn't happen on a regular basis.


We went to help at the beginning of the build. Here, the boys are holding the Master Builder's model that he uses as a guide. If you look closely, you can see little numbers on Yoda's head. 8. 6. 12. And to the right of Jonathan, you can see the base of the big version.


I'm just sure this must be one of the bricks I assembled. They didn't build Yoda out of small bricks. Their volunteers built bigger bricks out of smaller bricks, and then they built Yoda out of those.


And here is the completed giant, looking very wise.


He positively towers over my super cute boys...


...and their parents.


Of course we had to ride the escalator to get an aerial view.


And for country bumpkins like us...


...this turned out to be the highlight of the whole extravaganza. The boys went up and down many, many times. SO adorable. And so... theme-parkish.


But that wasn't all! Less than a week later, our landlords popped upstairs and offered, very randomly, right out of the blue, to give us free tickets to Disney on Ice. They'd been planning to attend that evening with their sweet grandbabies, but they and their mama got so sick they couldn't make it, and no one wanted to go without the grandkids. Not only did Tim & Laurie pass their tickets along to us, but they also gave us cash for gas and parking, and a super nifty zippered tote to fill up with goodies. Even though they were sad that their grandsons were sick and they were missing out on their fun evening, they turned right around and treated us. Very generous.


The first Disney hero we saw was none other than Mater himself.


Followed soon after by the very chic and snazzy Lightning McQueen.


Their mouths moved, and I thought the cars were driven by remote, but Jeff says there were drivers in each vehicle, using that nifty window decal thingy that lets you look out and no one else look in. Or something like that.


My favorite portion came next. I was thirteen when The Little Mermaid came out, so that was a bit magical. Also, figure skating is my favorite... sport. So... ya know.


I thought Ursula was pretty cool-lookin'. The skater underneath all that getup whisked right around the ice. No triple jumps, though. I tell ya.


Next came the boys' favorite. Lion King! See, on top of the mountain thing is Scar, surrounded by hyenas. At the bottom left is Simba, running away because he thinks he killed his father. And that herd of wild animals with the spindly white legs... and skates? Wildebeests, of course.


Hakuna matata! What a wonderful phrase! Hakuna matata! Ain't no passin' craze! It means no worries! For the rest of your days! It's our problem-free philosophy! Hakuna matata! Pumba's got skates on his hands, he can't see a thing, and his back must be killing him, but he doesn't mind, because... hakuna matata.


And last, and certainly, in the opinion of my manly sons, definitely least, we were graced with the presence of fairies. Yuck. Flowers. Double yuck. Giant sparkly butterflies. Triple yuck. TinkerBell's cables were clearly evident in real life. And check out the guy on the right. "Mommy, when I grow up, I want to be a figure skater dressed as an enormous pink flower with white tips..."
But observe, if you will, the athleticism. The guy is not only holding his own form, but supporting the girl as well. See her hands on his wrists? This picture reminds me of my marriage. Minus the, you know, clip-on wings.


Thanks ever so much, Tim & Laurie! We love you guys.

And see how God provides for us? I'm so thankful He gave these treats to my kids. He is Yahweh Yireh, our provider. Even the fun stuff.

Cast your burden upon the LORD and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken. ~Psalm 55:22