Thursday, November 19, 2009

Learning to Fly: Day 9

This morning, I completely scratched up and rewrote my morning routine. I didn't add new tasks; I just incorporated the stuff I already do. This helps me because it's a promise to myself that I don't have to give up my natural routine or completely change my life around in order to be a FLYBaby. I can still check my email, for example.

So here's what I have so far. And by the way, I want you to know that blogging about this is what keeps me doing it every day. So thanks for listening. I love all of your comments. And you.

Morning Routine:

  • Read morning routine

  • Read love letter from God (Formerly called Fridge Verses. I took them off the fridge, weathered the paper to look like an old love letter, folded it a bunch of times, and stuck it in the front pocket of my control journal.)

  • Read Bible and write in prayer journal

  • Get up, shower, get dressed

  • Brush hair, shave face, brush teeth, wash face (in that order)

  • Five minute room rescue (today's new task)

  • Hot spot - 2 minutes (I have to write "2 minutes" because otherwise I'll get overwhelmed.)

  • Breakfast (I have to do all of the above before breakfast because I always check email while I eat breakfast, and once I sit down in front of my computer, it's all over.)

  • Check messages

  • Check FlyLady for new task



(Then do the task, then blog about it, then do school. We're afternoon homeschoolers.)

So. Today's new task is called the Five Minute Room Rescue. FlyLady says, "This is a reminder to spend just 5 minutes clearing a path in your worst room. You know this area of your home: the place you would never allow anyone to see. Just 5 minutes a day for the next 27 days and you will have a place that you can be proud to take anyone!"

Well, you know I don't really have any places in my life I would never allow anyone to see. I'm working on being more private and secretive for wisdom's sake, but whatever. I do, however, have a Worst Room.


Jonathan actually confessed sheepishly to this disaster as he saw me approach his room with camera in hand. He said, "Uh... I was looking for a magazine..." So adorable. I thought about having him help me pick it all up, but I only had five minutes, and I've got to get myself FLYing before I start the boys on Kelly's Riley Challenge, so I allowed him to run away and hide. This time.

 



Much better. It was really hard for me to walk away after five minutes, but I really don't have time today to be my obsessive self about this. At least I made a big enough dent to garner James's disapproval. He came in and said, "Aaaauuuuuuuggggggghhhhhh! You know we don't like our room clean!" So cute. (He's actually been saying "augh" lately. Which he pronounces "awg." Onaccounta Garfield and Calvin.)

 



On to my morning Hot Spot! This was necessary because the boys will use this space today for school. I am quite intrigued by the fact that this is the same hot spot I've already shown you. It's definitely hot. Fell into a burning ring of fire.

 



You know, two minutes is really not very much time. I worked as fast as I could, but this is all the farther I got. Not sure why that irritated me, but it did. Oh. I'm competitive. That's why. Clock beat me.

 



However, the first two minutes definitely gave me the incentive I needed to do the final three minutes of work. This exercise is seriously retraining my brain. I now have verifiable, pictorial proof that cleaning this space takes only five minutes. So very doable.

Especially when coupled with truth like this:

“Be strong and courageous and do the work. Don’t be afraid or discouraged by the size of the task, for the Lord God is with you. He will not fail you nor forsake you.” ~1 Chronicles 28:20