Friday, November 13, 2009

Learning to Fly: Day 5

The boys are at Grandma's, and we're taking it easy. So at 4:30pm on Day 5, I'd done none of the things on my post-its. I decided I'd better at least look and see what Day 5 was about, so I went to flylady.net and checked.

Day 5: "Write Down What You Hear"

FlyLady says to document the negative voices in my head and then say something nice to myself to negate the ugly words. Oh, great. Now I'm on Daily Affirmation with Stuart Smalley. "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggonit, people like me."

See, the lies in my head are like the Death Star. Surrounded by an impenetrable force field. Puny little x-wing fighter blaster bolts just bounce right off. Gotta get the shields down.

But even with the shields down, blaster bolts just make pitiful, little explosions in the surface of the sphere. Gotta shoot straight to the core in order to do any good.

But even just aiming for the core isn't good enough. The best fighters with their best targeting computers miss the mark.

Now follow me on this.

Negative voices: Death Star

Me saying nice things about me: Blaster bolts hitting force field.

You saying nice things about me: Blaster bolts hitting the surface of the sphere.

All the world's best affirmation: Fighters with targeting computers, missing their mark.

Ah, but how does Luke Skywalker finally achieve success? He switches off his targeting computer and uses The Force.

In other words, there is only one way to defeat the negative voices in my head, and it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with me or you or anyone else saying nice things about me.

The only force greater than my personal Death Star is Jesus Christ.

I'm going to share with you the negative lies I've been hearing over the past few days, but we're not going to bother with blaster bolts or targeting computers or Stuart Smalley. Me saying nice things to me? Totally useless. We need Scripture.

Okay, here goes.

I'm on staycation. I'll start FLYing again when the boys come home from Grandma's house.

I don't feel good. Can I skip today?

I'll get dressed after I finish this project.

As soon as you have a fibro attack, you'll be right back where you started, so why try?

You're a failure. You can't even do two things for five straight days. Look at you. It's 4pm and you're still wearing the clothes you put on yesterday morning. You've already failed. There's no hope for you.

You'll never get your family to clean up after themselves, and they're always going to treat you like the maid. They're never going to help you or respect you.

No one cares whether or not you succeed or fail. You're totally alone.

You will never catch up on the dishes. You will never catch up on the laundry.

Even if you get dressed to the nines, you'll still be obese with a full beard. You're an outcast and a freak. You belong in the circus.

In order for this to work, you'd have to change your personality, and you know that's never going to happen. Just give up now. You're a lost cause.

These changes won't last. You're wasting your time.

You can't do this.

There you have it, folks. The lies in my head. Dismal, I know. Deranged, even. Oh, wait. That's just more negativity. Let's move quickly on to the truth before this results in an unrecoverable flat spin.

Here's the light.

27 Why do you say, O Jacob,
and complain, O Israel,
"My way is hidden from the LORD;
my cause is disregarded by my God"?

28 Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.

29 He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.

30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;

31 but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
~Isaiah 40:27-31

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. ~Matthew 11:28

Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might. ~Ecclesiastes 9:10a

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. ~Philippians 1:6

I will never leave you, nor forsake you. ~Hebrews 13:5

I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have drawn you with lovingkindness. ~Jeremiah 31:3

The king is enthralled by your beauty; honor Him, for He is your Lord. ~Psalm 45:11

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. ~Colossians 3:3

I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten... and you will praise the name of the Lord your God, who has worked wonders for you; never again will My people be shamed. Then you will know that I am in Israel, that I am the Lord your God, and that there is no other; never again will My people be shamed. ~Joel 2:25a, 26b-27

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~Philippians 4:13

Let the weak say, "I am strong!" ~Joel 3:10b

This is what the LORD says: "When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill My gracious promise to bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile." ~Jeremiah 29:10-14

1 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,

2 to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,

3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor.

4 They will rebuild the ancient ruins
and restore the places long devastated;
they will renew the ruined cities
that have been devastated for generations.

5 Aliens will shepherd your flocks;
foreigners will work your fields and vineyards.

6 And you will be called priests of the LORD,
you will be named ministers of our God.
You will feed on the wealth of nations,
and in their riches you will boast.

7 Instead of their shame
my people will receive a double portion,
and instead of disgrace
they will rejoice in their inheritance;
and so they will inherit a double portion in their land,
and everlasting joy will be theirs.
~Isaiah 61:1-7

Hallelujah!