Monday, May 18, 2009

Blessings: Disguised and Otherwise

So we're moving. This will be my thirty-second move. Yep.

I'm happy to say I'm one year older than the number of times I've moved. For a long time, my move quantity exceeded my age. And then for a while it matched my age. But I feel confident that I will henceforth age more rapidly than my permanent residence changes.

And I have evidence. Of aging, I mean. The circumstances we are moving away from have brought a large quantity of new silver hairs to my head.

I'm very glad we are moving. I have a nomadic soul, and frequent moves keep me from stagnation. If I had my druthers, I'd just live in an RV for the rest of my life.

But while I'm glad we're moving, this really isn't a happy move. It's a heartbreaking move. Because we're not just leaving our home. We're leaving our church. And many of you will understand that when you dive into church heart-first, and then later you have to leave, it's like getting divorced. It's messy, confusing, and so sad.

But for us, it is what it is, and we are moving forward.

In the midst of this situation, God, in His divine grace, is bombarding me with glimpses of His love and His blessings.

Philippians 4:8 says, "Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good report, let your mind dwell on these things."

This doesn't mean I don't work through the heartbreak. God gives me grace for that too. But in this pit, there is blessing. And it is the blessings I want to share with you (in random order, as they come to mind):

1) Because my mom came to help me pack, the boys and I were able to travel with her to Seattle, where I was able to see many beloved family members. My sweet grandma, my uncle and his wife, my aunt and her husband, my cousin and her husband, my sister and her husband and their daughters, my brother and his wife and their brand new baby son.

2) Because I have not been able to go online unless I drive fifteen miles to my favorite coffee shop in town, I have enjoyed delicious local coffee much more frequently than I normally do. Definitely a blessing.

3) The home we're moving to needs us. Jeff will help fix up their place, and trade construction for rent. Our new landlords are praising God that He provided us for them. I was sure our next destination would put us entirely on the receiving end. How gracious of God to send us to a place where we have something to give back.

4) Our new neighborhood is full of kids for my sons to play with. The place we are leaving is way out in the country with barely any neighbors at all, let alone neighborhood playmates.

5) Our new home is four blocks from my kids' favorite library in the world and the super cool playground next to it.

6) God is force-answering my prayer that I will be disciplined enough to walk every day by landing us in a living situation that our dogs will just love: daily walks to get their exercise and do their business.

7) I've watched my son's prayers be answered. The new house has all three things he requested. A room just for school, kids nearby, and a secret passage. Three prayers I thought were unanswerable.

8) Faith lessons like those described in the previous post. And others besides. Like more prayer and Scripture reading by everyone in our family. And these glimpses of blessing. And the unequivocal knowledge that we have come to Jesus, we who are weary, and He is giving us rest.

I praise God for my new silver hairs, the events that caused them, the blessings that are now ours because of those events, and the peace in my heart that is the greatest miracle of all.