Saturday, May 9, 2009

Abba's Unfailing Love

In the midst of continuing circumstances like those described in the previous post, God, not coincidentally, orchestrated things in such a way that my daily Bible reading is taking me through the life of David. I'm reading the chronological Bible for the first time, and I'm really enjoying studying David's whole life in its chronology. The best part has been reading about various events in his life, and immediately reading the psalms he wrote during those times.

I can't tell you what a comfort it's been to read about David hiding out in caves from Saul, draw such viable parallels to our own situation, and then hear David's unshakable faith. Listen to Psalm 13, which he wrote right after some locals who said they'd keep David's location hidden immediately went to Saul and gave David up:

How long, O LORD? Will You forget me forever?
How long will You hide your face from me?

How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
And every day have sorrow in my heart?
How long will my enemies triumph over me?

Look on me and answer, O LORD my God.
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death;

My enemy will say, "I have overcome him,"
And my foes will rejoice when I fall.

But I trust in Your unfailing love;
My heart rejoices in Your salvation.

I will sing to the LORD,
For He has been good to me.

Over the past few years, I've struggled with depression, despair, bitterness, resentment, and thoughts of revenge. God has been with me through it all, showing me how much He loves me, reminding me that even though others may find me unlovely or unlovable, I am beloved by Him. I've found great comfort in the words that defined Job's life: "The Lord gives and the Lord has taken away. Blessed be the name of the Lord."

Now, as I'm faced with another situation beyond my control, I am so thankful for God's presence. As I drove to a local coffee shop this morning to go online, my stereo blared, "If you want a revolution, make a joyful noise to the Lord."

Well, that's what I'm going to do. I trust in my Abba's unfailing love. My heart rejoices in His salvation. I will sing to the Lord, for He has been good to me.