Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Sweet Talk

Becky: I can't decide which coffee shop to go to. The local place has free wi-fi, but their soy lattes aren't as yummy as Starbucks. Starbucks uses vanilla soy.

Jeff: Ummm...you can ask the local place to add vanilla. That's what coffee flavors are for...

Becky: Oh. Really? That's cool...

Jeff: [bites back mocking retort]

Becky: Well, the main thing is, I need to go someplace that has comfy chairs. I can't sit up at a table for very long like I used to.

Jeff: [nods absently]

Becky: Oh my goodness! I'm becoming high-maintenance! I used to be low-maintenance, and I'm getting higher-maintenance the older I get! Woe is me, woe is me...

Jeff: [token pat on Becky's shoulder]

Becky: Actually, that's not true. I'm just changing maintenances. I used to be high-maintenance emotionally, but now I'm lower-maintenance emotionally. The higher-maintenance I get physically, the lower-maintenance I am emotionally. Right?

Jeff: Sure. Yep.

Becky: You're just saying that because you think that's what you're supposed to say.

Jeff: Uh...no, I'm not. [wink, wink]

Becky: Oh, I do require a lot of maintenance, don't I? [sigh]

Jeff: Well, then it's a good thing you married a Maintenance Man.

Becky: [gush, gush, gush] Mmmmm... that's sweet talk.

Jeff: [self-satisfied grin]