Saturday, April 11, 2009

Mighty, Awesome, Wonderful

Do you ever get the feeling that God's not big enough?

I don't actually say, "God's not big enough." I know that's a lie.

But I do catch myself thinking, "This is hopeless. I will never change."

Which is really the same thing.

Yesterday, one of my besetting sins reared its ugly head yet again. I made the bad choice I always seem to make. I'd even prayed about it half-heartedly going in, but without the faith required to unfetter the power that God offers me to overcome my crap and make the right choice.

Despairing because of my wrong choice and the damage it had done, I found myself in that destructive thought pattern of hopelessness.

That hopeless despair was compounded by the guilt I felt, knowing that no matter what bad decision I make, I can still turn to God and find forgiveness and grace. Does grace ever make you feel guilty like that?

But that's the whole point of grace. That we don't deserve it.

Satan uses despair and guilt to the same end. Both are designed to keep me from the cross -- to keep me from the knowledge that Jesus Christ died in my place -- to keep me from being suffused with gratitude because He did -- to keep me from understanding another aspect of the great love with which He loves me -- and to keep me from loving Him in return.

If I despair, I don't turn to God because I think He's not big enough. If grace makes me feel guilty, I'll avoid God, shame-like, thinking, contrary to what He has clearly told me, that my sin is too great for Him to forgive.

That's blasphemy.

The truth is that Jesus Christ is big enough to handle my crap. He is big enough to cover my shame. He is big enough to forgive my sin. Even my besetting sin. Again and again. He is big enough to pick me up, wash me clean, and point me back in the right direction.

He is big enough to do those things for you too.

I love how Chris Tomlin expresses this concept in his song "Mighty Is the Power of the Cross". Click play to listen. I've included the lyrics for you as well.

Note: you may need to visit my blog to listen to this song.

http://assets.myflashfetish.com/swf/mp3/minime.swf?myid=20539411&path=

What can take a dying man
And raise him up to life again
What can heal the wounded soul
What can make us white as snow
What can fill the emptiness
What can mend our brokenness
Brokenness

Mighty, awesome, wonderful
Is the holy cross
Where the Lamb laid down His life
To lift us from the fall
Mighty is the power of the cross

What restores our faith in God
What reveals the Father's love
What can lead the wayward home
What can melt a heart of stone
What can free the guilty ones
What can save and overcome
Overcome

Mighty, awesome, wonderful
Is the holy cross
Where the Lamb laid down His life
To lift us from the fall
Mighty is the power of the cross

It's a miracle to me
And it's still a mystery
It's a miracle to me
The power of God for those who believe

Mighty, awesome, wonderful
Is the holy cross
Where the Lamb laid down His life
To lift us from the fall
Mighty is the power of the cross