Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Facing Fibro: God's Presence

Facing FibroThere are tons of excellent websites out there about fibromyalgia. One super informative site I keep up with is called Prospering Over Fibromyalgia. Sherri is always addressing topics I've never heard of. She does my fibro research for me so I don't have to.

Since there are tons of fibro sites out there, I could only think of one way to make my fibro articles unique: to focus on what's good about fibromyalgia, to find joy in it, and to praise God for it.

This week, I want to praise God for what fibromyalgia is teaching me about His presence. I used to be in constant activity, both physically and mentally. Fibro diminished my physical activity long ago, but most of the time, it allows me to stay mentally active even if I'm down physically.

But on some days, my brain is so fuzzy that I can't write, and sometimes, it's so fuzzy I can't even read. Not even children's literature. At first, this frustrated me, but over time, I began to find peace in my enforced mental rest. What? Me? Enjoy lying flat and staring at the ceiling? Yes. Completely at peace. And what's the source of this peace, you ask? It's God's presence. He is with me every moment, in my head, in my mind, in my heart.

It took fuzzy brain days for me to recognize how close He is to me. It took my mind not being able to go a million miles a minute for me to stop long enough to grasp the realness of God's nearness. I treasure His companionship so much that my heart rejoices in the fuzzy brain days that remind me of it as nothing else would. Thank God for fibromyalgia.