Friday, April 10, 2009

Becky's Bookshelf

Time for a look at my bookshelf.

First of all, I finished Harry Potter. Book Six only took 2 days, and Book Seven only took 15 hours. Jeff bought me The Tales of Beedle the Bard for Christmas, but before reading it, I wanted to finish re-reading the rest of the series. So after Book Seven, I finally got to enjoy Hermione's new translation from the ancient runes, complete with commentary by Dumbledore. And it was fun. Short, but not very sweet, just like all ancient fairy tales. Cute.

I was recently introduced to the BBC version of Sense & Sensibility. I loved it. A lot. Much better than the 1995 film, in my opinion. I have affection for the 1995 film, however, because it was my introduction to Jane Austen. But the storyline made so much more sense in the BBC version. I watched it something like seven times in two weeks.

Having been told that the BBC version of Sense & Sensibility followed the book more closely than the film, it was naturally my next Austen novel choice. (I am making my way through all of Austen's six major novels for the first time.) With Pride & Prejudice, the language didn't bother me at all. But with Sense and Sensibility, it did take me a few chapters to get into the swing of things. I remember exactly the sentence where the language clicked and reading became easier. It was:


 
The instrument was unlocked, everybody prepared to be charmed, and Marianne, who sang very well, at their request went through the chief of the songs which Lady Middleton had brought into the family on her marriage, and which perhaps had lain ever since in the same position on the pianoforte; for her ladyship had celebrated that event by giving up music, although by her mother's account she had played extremely well, and by her own was very fond of it.


That sentence pleases me tremendously. Anyway, I'm just starting this novel, so I have nothing intelligent to say about it yet.

But the very best bit on my bookshelf these days was introduced to me by my friend, Kiersten. It's called "Professor Grant Horner's Bible Reading System" and you can download a pdf document explaining it in full detail here.

I actually can't think how to explain it. It's a Bible-reading system that familiarizes you with Scripture and gets you through all of it in just over 8 months and most of it in less than 3 months. You read ten chapters a day, one from each list below, in order, thus:

List 1 (89 days)
Matthew, Mark, Luke, John

List 2 (187 days)
Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy

List 3 (78 days)
Romans, I&II Cor, Gal, Eph, Phil, Col, Hebrews

List 4 (65 days)
I&II Thess, I&II Tim, Titus, Philemon, James, I&II Peter, I,II&III John, Jude, Revelation

List 5 (62 days)
Job, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon

List 6 (150 days)
Psalms

List 7 (31 days)
Proverbs

List 8 (249 days)
Joshua, Judges, Ruth, I&II Samuel, I&II Kings, I&II Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther

List 9 (250 days)
Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah,
Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi

List 10 (28 days)
Acts

I've only been doing this system for about a week, but I'm already in love with it. Download the pdf and check it out!