Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Cleaning Song

So you know how I keep saying I'm a musician? Well, today I'm going to demonstrate for you an excerpt of my stellar musical ability. Creativity at its best, coming right up.

When I was a kid, we had Sunday School in our house every week, so Saturday was a big, fat cleaning day. There were eight of us, so we produced massive amounts of clutter. And on Saturday, we all cleaned. Mom made us.

In high school, in a different house, we didn't have to clean weekly anymore, but the clinging memory of it was enough to induce my brother and I to sit down at the piano and write "The Cleaning Song".

This weekend, my brother's wife started singing it randomly as we played Apples to Apples together. I looked up in surprise and she giggled, "You have no idea how often I sing that song..."

We proceeded into a rousing rendition down memory lane, and I thought, Ah, what a great blog post. I'm sure everyone wants in on this action. So without further ado, I give you "The Cleaning Song".

To be sung to the tune of "Dixie":

Oh, when my mom is in the mood for cleaning
That is when
We all go screaming
Run away!
Run away!
Run away,
to your room.

She will search you out and make you help her clean up
If you don't, she'll get all keyed up
Run away!
Run away!
Run away,
to your room.

Oh, I wish I didn't have TO
help HER
clean HOUSE
'Cuz I'm a lazy bum so I'll stay quiet AS a mou-ouse.
Run away,
Run away,
Run away down TO your roo-oom.
Run away,
Run away,
Run away down TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...
Your ROO-OOM!

I can still see my mom shaking her head, completely lost for words.