Sunday, March 15, 2009

Meandering: Week 2

Meandering MountaineerTo learn more about the Meandering Mountaineer, click here.

The Meander Report
Last week's goal was to walk to the cemetery and back every day. I did not do that at ALL.

I walked to the cemetery on Monday, but on Tuesday, I was really super shaky, and I thought flat ground would be preferable. So I walked the perimeter of the orchard across the street from my house. On Wednesday, my family walked the orchard with me. So pleasing. Then I didn't walk at all on Thursday. I was going to, but then I got cranky, so in true passive-aggressive Becky form, I chose to take painkillers and pout. About nothing.

On Friday, my brother and his wife came for a very welcome visit. :) Instead of walking the orchard with them, as had been my original idea, we all walked to the park up the road. We'd heard about an area waterfall, and we started up the hill behind the park to look for it, but we got bored, got winded, got stuck in stinging nettles, and got ourselves back home.

Saturday was a Rest Day. I sat in my little chair all day long and napped quite a bit.

And today, Sunday, I played miniature golf with Jeff's family. Not really a walk, but a stamina-building exercise. What? Oh, come on! Miniature golf SO counts!

And by the way, next week I'll try to have pictures of these places. Nebulous, nondescript pictures that give you stalkers out there no means to pinpoint my actual location.

If you're not already bored, you may be interested in my walking blog, The Meandering Mountaineer, on which I journal my (almost) daily exercise. Yep. All the meandering you could possibly want and more. I'm especially excited to tell you my daddy is giving exercise updates there too, and I'd love for you to read his contributions. His stuff is always worth reading.

The Next Meander
This week's goal is to find that little waterfall. And either circle the orchard or traipse to the park every day. And toward the end of this week, I hope to take a 2.2 mile round-trip real hike to the top of a real waterfall.

Verse of the Meander
Deuteronomy 6:4-7 (NIV): Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

Meander Music
This week's Meander Music is "Love the Lord" performed by Lincoln Brewster. (Can you tell I'm just going through my new favorite album?) This song just makes me happy. It's a happy song. The command given is impossible without Christ, so it could actually cause despair instead of joy, but past that wistful longing for currently unachievable perfection is undeniable, matchless, amazing grace. Anyway, this is also the theme song this week because this whole hiking endeavor is only viable as an act of worship. So push play and worship with me. Note: you may need to visit my blog to listen to this song.

http://assets.myflashfetish.com/swf/mp3/minime.swf

This adventure is dedicated to the God of the Bible, who is my Strength, my Rock, my Fortress, my Strong Tower. He alone is able to give me wings like eagles and get me to the top of my tall mountain.