Monday, March 9, 2009

Meandering: Week 1

Meandering MountaineerTo learn more about the Meandering Mountaineer, click here.

The Meander Report
I began my conditioning yesterday by walking up to the cemetery behind my house. I'm committed to walking no matter the weather. However, yesterday I learned that even though I'll go out rain or shine, I still need to prepare appropriately. It was snappy cold yesterday, and I had no gloves. Nor did Jonathan, who graciously agreed to accompany me. (His favorite part of the walk was the little white Porsche that zoomed by.)

About halfway there, I called Jeff and asked him to come get us because we were frozen like popsicles. But when he and James arrived, I just put Jonathan in the car and retrieved some gloves I knew were hiding in a door pocket. Then I walked the rest of the way to the cemetery to meet Jeff and the boys, who'd driven on ahead. We wandered between headstones for a few minutes, and I debated whether or not I should walk or drive home.

On the walk up, I had become winded, which is a no-no for fibro gals. I wasn't sure, given that, if trying to walk back on the first day would be overdoing it. I opted to ride home, knowing I had simply taken one walk of scores I will take to get in shape for this summer's climb. I'll walk both directions next time.

The Next Meander
Naturally, this week's goal is to make it to the cemetery and back. Every day.

Verse of the Meander
Isaiah 40:28-31 (NLT):

Have you never heard?
Have you never understood?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of all the earth.
He never grows weak or weary.
No one can measure the depths of his understanding.

He gives power to the weak
and strength to the powerless.

Even youths will become weak and tired,
and young men will fall in exhaustion.

But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.
They will soar high on wings like eagles.
They will run and not grow weary.
They will walk and not faint.


Meander Music
This week's Meander Music is "Everlasting God" performed by Lincoln Brewster. Near the end of the song, a small child quotes this week's Verse of the Meander. Listen to the whole song so you don't miss that part. It's pretty neat. Note: you may need to visit my blog to listen to this song.

http://assets.myflashfetish.com/swf/mp3/minime.swf?myid=19270834&path=2009/03/09



This adventure is dedicated to the God of the Bible, who is my Strength, my Rock, my Fortress, my Strong Tower. He alone is able to give me wings like eagles and get me to the top of my tall mountain.