Thursday, February 5, 2009

One Percent Less Embarrassed

Last night, while the rest of my family slept at a hotel near the hospital my dad was resting in, I spent the night with my dear friends from college.

This morning, my family came to pick me up. I had told them they could come whenever, thinking that meant later, not sooner. But I decided it would be a good idea to get ready right away just in case.

So I jumped in the shower.

As soon as I turned the water off and wrapped a towel around my head, I heard pounding. Oh, I thought, they must have decided to come get me first. I grabbed another towel and stretched it around my torso. It didn't reach all the way around onaccounta the fabulous rumpus I inherited. Oh well, I thought, I'll just crack the door open and peek out. That way, no one will see...the back...

But when I opened the front door, no one was there. I called outside, "Hello? Hello?"

Suddenly, I heard the thumping again. It was coming from directly behind me!!

Whirling around, I beheld my brother, peering in the kitchen window. I froze, clutching my towel wildly to try to make it reach even farther. My brother waved politely as he witnessed the shock and horror on my face.

I left the front door ajar and sprinted back to the bathroom.

My brother came around the house and in the front door. He called out to me through the bathroom door, "Hi, Becky..."

I didn't answer.

"No worries..." he called.

Yeah, right, I thought.

And then, in his most reassuring voice, "I didn't see anything..."

Throwing my clothes on, I exited the bathroom, looking at him with suspicious mortification. He quickly put his hands up and explained, "It was too dark inside the house...all I saw was the white towel wrapped around your head...I swear."

For a split second, I wondered if maybe he was trying to be polite to avoid the lifelong awkwardness of the situation. But I decided I would feel better if I took his words at face value.

So I chose to believe him. And I felt 1% less embarrassed.

*sigh*