Monday, January 26, 2009

What's on My Nightstand

5 Minutes for Books asked what's on my nightstand. Oh, how I love to talk about what I'm reading! (You'll notice I keep you informed of my current reading list in my sidebar.) So I've jumped right into this blog carnival with joy and rapture.


1) Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen. Yes, I know you all read it in junior high and I'm way behind. In fact, for my entire life, I've been surrounded by people who've read the classics. And I've been able to pretend to converse with them because, well, I saw the movie. But then I married Jeff, and gained two new sisters, who passionately read the classics and are very picky about the ensuing movie versions, and I was lost. So after yet another holiday of being left out of their discussions, I am catching up. And so excited to discover what I've been missing all this time. I bought all six of Austen's major novels at Christmas, and I'm devouring them one by one (and watching the movies).


2) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling. This is my fourth time through this book, and I just snuggle up with it on the side when the archaic language of Miss Austen grinds my brain to dust. I'm reading through the series again as a Snape Study. It's fascinating.


3) The Face Is Familiar by Ogden Nash. Does poetry count? He's my favorite. His poems are so refreshingly dry. And a great picture of the sentiments of his time period.


4) The One-Year Chronological Bible. I love this format. It switches back and forth between various books and keeps everything in linear order, just like my linear brain loves. One day I'm in Genesis, the next I'm in 1 Chronicles. Super cool.


5) And even though I've finished it, I have to mention Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. I read it a couple of weeks ago and loved it completely. The first half took me a week to read, the second half took only a day. Excellent, excellent book. And today, I watched the Hitchcock adaptation and loved that too. du Maurier is a genius. Because her heroine was nameless, I identified with her completely. Maybe a little bit too completely.


There you have it, folks. My reading list. What's on yours? Share at your own blog, and then head over to 5 Minutes for Books and sign Mr. Linky. See you there!