Thursday, January 22, 2009

God Gets Codex

So. I think I figured it out. I think I understand why people talk about being too scared to upgrade to the latest version of WordPress.

I am using WordPress 2.7. The latest version.

But I am using a theme built when the latest version of WordPress was 2.1.

Nearly all of the plugins I've tried to implement have not worked. AJAXed WordPress, CommentLuv, nothing works.

Last night, I think I got to the bottom of it. Half of my plugins won't work because my theme is too old, and the other half of my plugins won't work because my WordPress is too new.

Thank God for Codex. Even though I'm a total novice, the site gives clear enough instructions that I think I'll be able to upgrade my theme to be compatible with WordPress 2.7.

And I think the plugin creators of the WordPress community will continue to upgrade their plugins to make them 2.7-compatible.

And I'm pretty sure that just when I've got everything on my blog to love 2.7, I'll get a little message saying, "Please upgrade to 2.7.2". And I, like the rest of the WordPress community, will shrink back in fear.

HOWEVER.

There's hope.

From the beginning, this blog has been an act of obedience to God. I'm doing this for Him. So every time I pray about it, stuff smooths itself out, and every time I obsess over it, nothing works right.

I can't tell you the number of times I've tweaked to the point of total frustration before remembering to pray about this site. Nor the number of times my end-of-my-rope prayer has produced immediate results.

This proves that God is bigger than WordPress, and sovereign over the blogosphere. And it reminds me that He is my refuge and strength.

Sometimes I forget that the God who wrote on stone tablets with His finger also understands technology. But I'm really glad He does.