Tuesday, December 30, 2008

On Our Behalf

I walked into the bathroom last night and stumbled on a pile of small, discarded clothes. Water puddles soaked into my socks and chilled the bottoms of my feet. I put my hand on the bathroom counter and wrinkled my nose as my fingers touched the grimy, half-evaporated toothpasty water there.

Yucky. Dirty bathroom.

Leaving the bathroom, I tiptoed into the boys' room to check on them. They *always* let me kiss them when they're sleeping. My eyelids brushed up against their soft cheecks and inhaled the soapy smell of their still-damp hair. They exhaled a fresh breath, evidence of their newly-shined teeth. The scent of laundry detergent permeated their crisp pajamas.

Heavenly. Clean children.

Entering the living room and seating myself next to my husband, I quipped, "Clean kids equals a dirty bathroom."

He nodded sagely, "Yup."

But on the other hand, a dirty bathroom equals clean kids. So *that's* happy.

We who are in Christ are clean. Our spirits are alive, washed clean, fresh and new, and our prayers are a fragrant aroma before the throne of grace.

How did we get that way? Where did our dirt go?

Christ took it.

For you.

For me.

"Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come....

Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.

He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him."

~ 2 Corinthians 5:17, 20-21

Abba Stories