Saturday, November 29, 2008

HTML In My Sleep?

My bloggy buddy has a nice, tidy little list of what she's currently reading in her sidebar.

I wanted to copy.

So this morning, I headed over to her site to see what she'd done. Really pretty background, nice clean border, super cute fonts. I thought maybe she had found some cool "books I'm reading" widget and filled in the blanks. Nope. Her sidebar graphic is from her photobucket account. That means every time she picks up a new book, she has to update and reload the graphic (I think).

I thought, I don't want to have to keep making new pictures in Photoshop every time I start a book. Surely there's a quicker way.

And there sort of is...but not exactly. (This is if you don't really read or write html, like me. I'm sure all of this is easy as pie to the html-literate world.)

It's true that henceforth, I will be able to open the html script page and just change the titles and authors. But it's also true that I could have done the same thing, a lot prettier, in Photoshop without all the prep time.

You see, making and uploading Photoshop graphics only takes me about ten minutes. So that's ten minutes per book.

I'm not a fast reader, so if a book is totally incredible, it takes me about a week to get through it. (This is not fast. My husband read 400 pages just today.)

So that's one book per week, but really an average of about two books a month.

So that's 26 books a year.

Times ten minutes per book.

Is 260 minutes. Divided by 60 equals a bit over 4 hours.

So that means the Photoshop method would have taken me a bit over 4 hours spread over a year's time.

But it will take me nearly two years to read enough books to merit my "quicker way".

Why?

Because I worked on my "quicker way" -- a single-celled table with no graphics and one font -- from 8am until 3pm.

Yep. More complicated than deciphering the Rosetta Stone.

So basically, I could have had a much prettier list, for the price of ten minutes, like my wise bloggy buddy, if I'd just gone to Photoshop in the first place.

*sigh*

And tonight, while I sleep, I will dream about html. All night long. And wake up in terror.

But for what it's worth, check out what I'm reading. Anything there strike your fancy?

Abba Stories