Sunday, September 21, 2008

Remedy

Last February, I told God I wanted to give Him everything. He gladly took me up on it and has been systematically removing from my life...well, everything. At first, there were some obvious roadblocks that needed to be cast aside. Obvious attempts I was making to fill myself up apart from Christ, and obvious hatchets I needed to bury.

After God miraculously brought me through that process, He went to work on the next level. Things that were not necessarily sin, but weren't necessarily super edifying either. Those were harder to give up, and I still struggle with them at times.

I've recently been surprised to discover yet a deeper level of 'everything'. God is now taking from me even some of the good things in my life. Good things that I depended on. Good things that I ran to whenever I had a problem. Good things that were meant for God's glory. Good things that bring me comfort and joy. Why?

Well, yesterday, I put some music on as I did the dishes. I turned to a specific song because the first verse described how I felt: Here we are, the broken and used, mistreated, abused, here we are. Then it goes on to talk about how we lift up our voices and open our hands, let go of the things that have kept us from Him, to cling to the love that we can't comprehend...He is the one who has saved us, He is the one who forgave us, He is the one who has come and is coming again, He's the remedy.

And God whispered to my heart...Jesus Christ is the ONLY remedy. God strips from me even the good things because I have put my faith in those good things...not in Him.

He wants me to run only to Him. To trust only in Him. To put my faith completely in Him. To cling to Him.

Clinging means holding on with all my might. It involves every single one of my fingers, both hands, my arms and legs, my entire body. All of me is involved in the clinging process. How can I cling to Christ at all when one hand is grasping something else, even if that something else is a good thing? I cannot.

God must be my only remedy.

Here are the lyrics God used to speak this truth to my heart. (It's one of the songs in my MiniPod if you want to listen along.)

Here we are
Here we are
The broken and used
Mistreated, abused
Here we are

Here You are
Here You are
The beautiful one
Who came like a Son
Here You are

So we lift up our voices
And open our hands
To cling to the love
That we can’t comprehend

Oh, lift up your voices
And lift up your heads
To sing of the love
That has freed us from sin

He is the one
Who has saved us
He is the one
Who embraced us
He is the one who has come and
Is coming again
He’s the remedy

Here we are
Here we are
Bandaged and bruised
Awaiting a cure
Here we are

Here You are
Here You are
Our beautiful King
Bringing relief
Here You are with us

So we lift up our voices
And open our hands
Let go of the things
That have kept us from Him

He is the one
Who has saved us
He is the one
Who forgave us
He is the one who has come and
Is coming again
He’s the remedy

Oh, I can’t comprehend
I can’t take it all in
Never understand
Such perfect love
Come for the broken and beat
For the wounded and weak
Oh, come fall at His feet
He’s the remedy
He’s the remedy

He is the one
Who has saved us
He is the one
Who forgave us
He is the one who has come and
Is coming again
He’s the remedy
He's the remedy
Oh, He's the remedy
Oh, He's the remedy

So sing, sing

You're the one
Who has saved us
You are the one
Who forgave us
You are the one who has come
And is coming again
You're the one who has come
And You're coming again
You're the one who has come
And is coming again

To make it alright
Oh, to make it alright
You’re the remedy
Oh, in us
You’re the remedy
Oh, You're in us
You’re the remedy

Let us be the remedy
Let us be the remedy
Let us bring the remedy

~David Crowder

Photobucket