Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thankful Thursday

There's probably already a 'thankful thursday' meme out there, but this isn't part of it. I just like alliteration.

Here's the thought of the day:

Don't wait until you get your act together before you serve God. Because you're never going to get your act together.

Sounds like a slam, doesn't it?

But it's not. It's a relief. How?

It's a relief because it implies this fundamental truth:

Christianity is not about getting your act together. It's not about being better or doing more good things or succeeding in this area or that area or finally breaking away from a debilitating sin or remembering the right things or biting your tongue that time or responding patiently to your children or making someone else feel warm and fuzzy or making yourself feel warm and fuzzy.

Being a Christian, being a follower of Jesus Christ, has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with your actions.

Being a Christian means you are a recipient of grace. It is WHO YOU ARE, not what you do. And who are you? Who am I?

I am God's daughter.

I don't serve God because I've got my act together. I don't wait to serve Him more fully someday, when I presumably *will* have my act together. The fact is that I need His grace today, and I will need it every day for the rest of my life.

I am to serve and obey God because I love Him. And I love Him because He first loved me. Because His grace has made me His daughter.

For this I am thankful beyond words.

Photobucket