Thursday, May 8, 2008

Student for Life

At Something Good, they asked, "What did your husband teach you this week?"

Well.

Until the bit I learned from Jeff this week, I didn't really see myself this way, but my friends would say I am competitive. I believe they cite my card-playing tenacity as evidence.

As I learn to reach out to those around me, one of my desires is to be relatable.

I also champion sleep. My sleep, specifically.

I also like Jeff to always know when I'm in pain. (Poor Jeff!)

Until recently, a couple of conversations consistently made me super cranky.

First one:

Becky: I didn't sleep very well last night. I'm really tired this morning.
Jeff: Me too.

Second one:

Becky: My back is hurting so much. I'm really sore this morning.
Jeff: Me too.

Each of these conversations was typically (mostly recently) followed by a pouty Becky, whining, "Why do we have to talk about your pain...? I said I was in pain first...! Why do you always have to switch the conversation to talking about you...?"

This pout was usually followed by a sigh from Jeff, a short pause, and a softly spoken, "I'm sorry you're in so much pain..."

So.

Here's what Jeff taught me. He said, very gently:

"You know how it always makes you cranky when someone says they feel the same thing you do? The reason it makes you so mad is that you think they're trying to one-up you. But that's not what they're trying to do. They're trying to relate to you..."

Oh...

This seriously changes everything when it comes to my interaction with those around me. Suddenly, folks I apparently viewed as competition (Hello! Competitive!) have become nice, friendly, relating, relatable people.

I'm so thankful that Jeff saw this and had the wisdom to point it out. He rocks my world.

Something Good button