Saturday, May 3, 2008

Bring the Rain

So last Thursday morning, I sat in a doctor's office and heard him tell me I have fibromyalgia. It took a few minutes to sink in.

I know what this means.

Slow down.

Actually, it's a combination of 'slow down' and 'stay active'. Total dichotomy.

I'm pretty excited about this diagnosis because it explains my quirky body. But there's also no cure. There's pain management, and there's energy management, but for the most part, you just plain have to overhaul your lifestyle. It lasts for the rest of your life, and even if you take all the drugs and follow all the rules, you're still going to wake up blindsided by exhaustion on a regular basis. That's just the way it is.

Am I bothered by this at all? Absolutely. The other morning, I really wanted to go and help my friend move, but my body wouldn't let me. I cried like a baby. Thankfully, she wasn't finished moving by the time I had a burst of energy, so I got to help her a couple of days later. Yay! I'm still useful! But she said she would have been happy if I'd just sat on her floor and kept her company. In other words, I'm useful for lifting spirits, even if I can't lift heavy boxes.

Velma said, "What a good God we serve to give you the gift of writing so that you could do something you love that fits with limited energy and physical strength!"

Beyond finding joy in things to do that require little energy, God has given me a special blessing I would not have received in quite the same way if I were physically healthy and whole:

The blessing of His comfort.

What a tremendous gift from the Lord to be able to get to know this part of His nature! The God who comforts.

1 Corinthians 1:3-5 says, "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows."

Through Christ our comfort OVERFLOWS!! What a beautiful concept!

Here's the best part. I left my doctor appointment on Thursday, slightly stunned and overwhelmed by where to go from here, and God immediately brought that overflowing comfort swiftly to me as soon as I started my car.

My sister gave me a new MercyMe CD for my birthday, and it just happened to be cued to the following song, which completely focused my heart, in word and song, on God's plan for me and and exactly what I am to do next...


I can count a million times
People asking me how I
Can praise You with all that I've gone through
The question just amazes me
Can circumstances possibly
Change who I forever am in You

Maybe since my life was changed
Long before these rainy days
It's never really ever crossed my mind
To turn my back on you, oh Lord
My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times
So I pray

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain

I am Yours regardless of
The dark clouds that may loom above
Because You are much greater than my pain
You who made a way for me
By suffering Your destiny
So tell me what's a little rain
So I pray

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain

Holy, holy, holy
Is the Lord God Almighty


So what am I to do with fibromyalgia?

Praise the Lord.

HALLELUJAH!