Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Quotable Quotes

So I'm re-reading this really great book. I've mentioned it and extracted a LONG passage from it already. And I'm not a very fast reader, so I'm STILL reading it, even though it's only a little over 500 pages. In fact, if you've ever been to my profile, it's listed as my favorite book of all time.

Anyway, here are today's quotable quotes from The Hidden Hand by J. Sidlow Baxter.

"How vital, then, is prayer! Certainly, prayer must be accompanied by willing work, for praying without working is disguised laziness; but on the other hand, so-called 'Christian service' without prayer is an impertinence. Yes, if a church is to experience spiritual reviving there must be prayer, earnest and continual. Organizing can never be a substitute for interceding. There is a big difference between a church which is humanly galvanized and a church which is divinely energized."

"What seems to be the breaking of us often turns out to be the making of us. When the prodigal was leaving home his request was, 'Father, give me,' but when he came back disillusioned his prayer was, 'Father, make me.' So long as we dance around the 'give me' we're superficial, but when we get to 'Father, make me,' God can really do something with us."

"The only people who really laugh are those who have wept; the others only cackle. Who can enjoy lovely Spring like those who have struggled through tough Winter? The only people who really enjoy joy are those who have had enough sorrow...The only people who are of any use to understand and comfort the world's sufferers are those who themselves have suffered. None can mend broken hearts like those whose own have been broken at one time or another."

"They say that love is blind. Is it not truer that love is an added eye? It sees in its object of endearment what no other eyes do."