Thursday, April 24, 2008

Blessed Be the Name of the Lord

Last night I spilled water on my laptop.

It appears to be dead. If it is not dead, it currently lies in a coma.

Jeff is a genius. He can possibly extract my files off the hard drive. Or rather, in his words, "There's an 80% chance I *might* be able to get your files...I think..."

It has to do with whether or not the hard drive is encrypted.

Jeff said what we really need is a laptop identical to mine. We could plug the hard drive into it and get all my files, no problem. Of course my laptop is old...discontinued.

My entire job is on that hard drive. Hundreds of hours of design and organization. 4GB of PowerPoint slide shows for church. Templates for all of the publications I make for church every week. Volunteer schedules. The order of service. My laptop was the only one who knew what our corporate worship services were supposed to look like in May. Everything.

And no. I didn't back up.

Yesterday morning, I thought to myself, "I should back up these files..."

Yesterday afternoon, Jeff thought to himself, "That cup of water shouldn't be so close to her laptop..."

Please pray that we'll be able to get my files off the hard drive.

And did I mention my birthday is coming up? Who wants to buy me a new laptop? Dell has a great red one on the market right now...

So. What have we learned so far from this experience?

1) Back up your files.

2) Back up your files.

3) Back up your files.

Okay. Good. Now no one else has to preach me that sermon. I preached it to myself. Good to go.

But also, I can see a couple of good things.

First, I've been needing to learn to grieve. I think losing my laptop is inconsequential enough that I will allow myself to grieve over it. This could open the door for more serious grieving yet to take place.

Second, my favorite song comes into play yet again:

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name

Third, my second favorite song is batting itself around in my brain:

Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord
We will wait upon the Lord
We will wait upon the Lord

Here's some stuff to praise God for:

I got all of this week's stuff done before my laptop died, so there is no immediate need to scramble. The Lookout will have to go to press without any changes (it hasn't been edited yet) but that's minor.

I married a genius who knows all about hard drives and even has the little hard drive tester viewer thingy that makes it so you can swap hard drives from one machine to the next.

Even though 48 oz of water cascaded vertically through my entire machine, which was standing on its side, my hard drive (a rather small portion of the whole) did not get wet.

I still have a roof over my head, clothes to wear, food to eat.

I still have family and friends and everything that matters and blogger.

If my hard drive files prove unextractable, the only completely irreplacable thing on my laptop are the past 2 years' worth of digital photos of my boys.

God is good.

God made me.

God loves me.

God has a plan for me.

Jeff's desktop is working just fine, so I can still blog. :)

I do have a rather immediate request. Please pray that I will be able to find a laptop to borrow to take to the women's retreat tomorrow so we can run PowerPoint slide shows of song lyrics (which I will have to recreate from scratch).

And I'll keep you posted on my sleeping laptop's medical condition.